Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Aprilia releases new dream streetbike - The

Actually, it's sorta neet looking, replicating the Triumph model, but I was more hoping for something with the style of the Blue Marlin myself.

Ah well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First Post!!!!

When are you guys going to run a comparo for the ZX-12, Hayabusa and CBR1100XX? Can you use the same criteria from the liter bikes? If you can't get your hands on a Kawasaki this time, (that was crap by the way!) I would consider lending you guys my stock 02 ZX-12.....As long as your sober.

·
Registered
159 Posts
For reference check out the power/torque curves that MO offered for both the Mille R and the Speed Triple. Not only the Sp3 numbers are higher (both hp and lb/ft) but the torque curve is also nicer for the Trumpet.

The Tuono being the ultimate street bike? A comparo is in order.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Man...I love the way this bike looks. Of course, seeing the thing in real life might be a different story, but if the thing had twin pipes it might be the best looking streetbike out there, IMHO, with proven power and parts to boot.

I hope these things are coming to the US...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Indeed the power curves are awfully similar. On the other hand, the S3 curve reports a max hp that is nearly equivalent to the factory crank hp rating of 118bhp. Assuming that the 114 reported is accurate, it implies that VERY little power is lost through the drivetrain, which makes me question the numbers a little (did Triumph provide a ringer with a Daytona engine installed?). The Mille numbers are more in line with what I would expect, 130bhp reported at the crank, less than 112bhp at the rear wheel. I know that it is fairly easy to wring another 5-10bhp out of the Mille with a pipe and a chip, too. Of course, the Mille is quite a bit lighter than the Triumph, as well.

I sold my 2001 Speed Triple and bought a Mille just 4 days ago, so I am at least partially qualified to say that the handling difference between the two is enormous (and I still can't rev it over 6000rpm). Even the Showa componentry of the standard Mille FAR outperforms the suspension my 2001 S3 (unchanged for '02), even with $1000 of race tech valves and springs installed, front and rear.

Between the far superior componentry and the lighter weight, not to mention the superb power delivery of the twin (Burns hit the nail on the head when he said there is something about that v-twin coupled to that phenomenal chassis that just begs the rider to wind the throttle open through a corner) and gorgeous styling, I have little doubt who would win a comparo, but when you factor in the $5,000+ difference in their price, you maybe get a different story.

Hopefully, Aprilia will release the bike on this side of the pond, but unless a VERY generous reader donates a bike for review, I doubt we'll see a comparo until Aprilia releases the low-zoot version for general delivery, rather than the R-spec internet special. Of course, that is just wishful speculation, but how could they neglect the opportunity.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Hey Aprilia owner's, I have a question: I have been wondering about the maintenace schedule and reliability of Aprilia. (mostly because Ducatis are Italian too). I have been looking at purchasing something in the Futura or R1100S category, and I guess I'm just looking for more input. Thanks alot

..........Andy

·
Registered
45 Posts
I don't have a lot of experience with Aprilias, but the scheduled maintenance is every 4500 miles, but the valve adjustment interval is twice that. Additionally, the valve adjustment is not as difficult or time consuming as messing with the desmo valves, which seem to cost $600/adjustment, at least here in Northern California where labour usually bills out at $70+/hour. My dealer said to expect $400+ service bills when the valves need adjustment, and $200+ bills for the simple service in between.

As for reliability, the Mille engine and chassis has been in service for a fairly decent interval now, with no rampant reliability problems. In fact, they have done really well, especially for such an immature product line. Ducati has had a pretty good reputation for quality in recent years, too, and a continuing excellent quality control record is a high priority according to an interview with the president of the company I read a while back.

I specifically rejected the purchase of a Ducati ST4s in favour of an Aprilia entirely because I did not want to pay for the services on a Duc (and I like the Mille engine better, anyway). I wasn't happy with the performance of the Futura, however, so I bought a Mille with the intent of modifying it to be more like the Tuono.

--sam

·
Registered
159 Posts
I also wondered about the "optimistic" dyno numbers for the Sp3 but it is unlikely that the engine being tested was a Daytona engine. If you notice, the power cuts off at about 9500 rpms on the Sp3 graph. A Daytona engine would keep the curve going a bit over 10500 rpms.

It is funny that the RSV didn't get an "optimistic" reading as most bikes have been getting on the MO dyno, though.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Did they really detune the engine that much on the Futura?!? I am still in the infant stages of shopping for a new bike (for financial reasons) but I will definitly have to do some test riding. Did you have the chance to try a Falco? Thanks again.....Andy

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Pegaso and have several friends with F650s. As for Aprilia vs. BMW?

BMW has more dealers and they actually know their bikes and stock parts for them.

My experience with the Aprilia dealers around here, Denver, is that if the parts guys never had to look up/order another Aprilia part they'd be very happy. It is a shame, because the bike has been excellent.

I'd rate them equally in reliability. Of I think Aprilia has it all over BMW in the coolness factory. I love it when the Harley and squid riders ask "What's that?". I reply " An Aprilia", then they ask, "Who makes it" I reply "Aprilia!" and enjoy the confused look on their face as I wheelie down the road!

Get the Futura!

·
Registered
45 Posts
130bhp down to 113bhp. It isn't just the engine, though. The suspension is significantly downgraded, even from the standard Mille. No compression damping adjustment front or rear, and it was set up pretty plush. The two that I rode could get into a strange oscillation mid-corner if the surface wasn't totally smooth. I didn't expend a lot of effort trying to dial it out, as I had already made up my mind. Besides, the looks of that bike never really did it for me, and I didn't like its size. The Mille feels so much smaller and more compact, which I like, despite my 220lb frame.

I do upwards of 15 track days a year, but I also tend to ride at least 24,000 miles. The 15 track days require track-ready suspension, and are certainly aided by the full power engine. The 24K miles necessitate some compromise for comfort. Noone makes (nor should they, as I imagine my riding habits are fairly rare, at least on just one bike) a bike that is really dialled in for both. I figured I would just build one myself, and still come up with a cheaper bike than the BMW K1200RS I just sold (I replaced both a Speed Triple street and track bike and a BMW sport tourer with a single Mille that will be modded to cover both tasks). The real trick is going to be the adjustability that will allow easy transition from track bike to street and back. I don't mind turning a few wrenches, but I don't want to have to carry different parts.

The ST4s is almost perfect, but who wants to pay for those valve adjusts ever 6K miles when you are going to put 24K on the bike every year. That is $2400 in service per year versus $1200-$1500 for the Mille, which will be easier to service myself once the warranty expires.

I figure that I'll buy some light wheels for the track for something like $2500 including rotors (I hope), and have handlebars and some kind of footpeg solution machined for about $700 combined. Throw in about $600 for quality soft saddlebags, tankbag and tailpack, plus the cost of the bike at $13K, and for $16.8K total (almost exactly the new cost of a BMW K1200RS), I get a bike that PERFECTLY suits my needs. Sure, I could have started with a Mille R to prevent the almost inevitable (knowing me, anyway) upgrade to Ohlins suspenders at a later date, but I am not a big believer in using credit to buy toys, and the Mille is what I could afford.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Man, if your doing 15 track days a year, why don't you join the nearest race club. If you do say 2 races on a weekend [600ss, 750ss etc.], The cost wouldn't be very much more than a track day. I picked up a 2000 R1 from a insurance auction for $4500. It had cosmetic damage only. I put about $2000 into it, [revalved suspention, race bodywork, race Pipe, etc.]. And even novice racing is way more intense and fun than track days. Just a thought, I tried to do with the same bike for track and street like you, But it's a serious pain to change body work and tires once or twice a month. and when you get faster the susp. valved for the track will really pound you on the street. Besides you can push a $6500 track bike harder without that thought in the back of your mind {$17000 tumbiling end over end}. Hope to see you on the starting grid. Omrra #270

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.