Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: again the HD faithfull refuse to admit that change is possible

I'll put is simply. If your going to compete in the price/performance catagory, which Aprilia is trying to do, then the Japanese are going to rip your lungs out and feed them to you for lunch. Maybe wasting all that money on a race team isn't so smart after all. Harley is looking smarter every day.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
I agree with the folks that say Harley should buy Aprilia and MotoGuzzi. Harley has tons of cash, and they need to spend it badly buying dying sportbike manufacturers. No better way of p!ssing away your profits in my book.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Joey Bagadoghnuts would love that ST4! If I sold the ZX9, I might just pick up that ST from ya. In the meantime, I'm amusing myself with V-Boost and bad handling. At least I have a Ducati dealer 3 blocks from my house for parts.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
It's because they ALL have financial resources that go far beyond motorcycles. They also have the proverbial "head start" on manufacturing inline four sport bikes. I said it before, and I will say it again. The Japanese lose money on every sport bike they build. How can a bike they rediesign every 2 years sell for only 200 bucks more than last year? Answer: It can't. When they redid the GoldWing, the price went up about 4 grand, and they won't mess with it for the next 8 years. Kaw makes ships, Yamaha makes musical instruments, Suzuki makes cars, and Honda makes everything. That allows them to lose money in this segment, and this allows them to wipe out the competition.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
First, the Japanese DO lose money from this catagory. You say you don't stay in business long doing this. Pride and competition drive this area of motorcycling and they do it for that. If they made a living here, they would have died long ago. Ducati and Aprilia and Moto Guzzi can show you their balance sheets to tell you there is no money here, even though they charge thousands more for each bike. There are not any financial statements from the Big Four that breaks down by catagory. If you ever looked at one you would know that. Tons of manufacturers are making cruisers, yet there are no startup sport bike manufacturers. Why is that? No money is why. It's a losing proposition all around. Here's all the research I need. No sport bike manufacturer outside of Japan is making money. That is a FACT. Think MO will print it?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Just to point out, Buell was not a start-up sportbike company. They were financed by Harley-Davidson and run by Eric. Harley now owns them again. I wonder how long Buell would have survived without Harley cash? About 5 minutes is my guess. To use Norton and Vincent as supposed sport bike companies is a pretty bad reach. Neither one makes sport bikes, nor are considered successful. Nice try. Triumph cruisers are their biggest sellers by far. That is proven through numbers. How much money did they make on the 600, and when was the last re-design of the Daytona? Where is the race team? Sportbikes are supposed to race, right? Triumph better stick with what they know before they go on the auction block next. Sportbike startups that compete with Japanese sportbikes are hen's teeth. Keep pretending money is being made in sport bikes, if it makes you feel better. Reality says different.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts

Check yourself. You are starting a conversation with KPaul. Do so at your own risk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts