Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
I'm always sorry to see a brand go down. Unfortunately, Aprilia tried to climb too far, too fast. Indian built copies of Harleys. Aprilia tried to copy Ducati. Trying to copy someone else doesn't work unless you've got the expertise to do it better. I rode one of the early 1000s. My response was, "not bad, but no better than what the Japanese are producing." Did I think it could rival a Ducati in handling? In a word, no. Maybe the newer bikes are better, as I know Sean is in love with the Tuono. I trust his judgment. It's probably a great machine. But their first forays into the market were with non distinct bikes. I could not imagine spending the dollars required to mount an RSV when for a little more I could get a 996. Plus their dealer relations often sucked. Triumph has built very distinct triples, plus they have had the sense to reach back into their past and put out a true retro bike. Triumph did it right. Aprilia and Indian did it wrong. Guzzi will likely survive. They are truly unique bikes with a very loyal customer base and a unique feel. Still, I'm sad to see them go.

Francis

1 - 1 of 1 Posts