Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else irritated that the major helmet manufacturers (Arai and Shoei) will not allow vendors to advertise discount prices? I see this is spreading to other items as well (Alpinestars boots).

I have heard an know the arguments, but I still find it an irritation that costs me time and effort.

Arai was the manufacturer that started this.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I will eventually need to be made aware of a price if I ever intend to buy. This whole idea of "our prices are too low to advertise" is crap. If I have to call for a price, I look to another product. I find it very irritating to have to go look up a price. Others do the same thing and I avoid them like the plague. HJC makes some great stuff and doesn't put you through the hassle.

·
Registered
10,900 Posts
You forgot another model, Sean

The new Arai "KPC"

It's fitted with an exaggerated outer shell coupled with extremely tight inner padding to protect the narrowest of minds.

In addition, the impact areas are totally self-absorbing.

In comes in only one color scheme which Arai describes as "incongruity."

·
Registered
458 Posts
Nice helmet, but $400?!?

$100-150 gets a nice, fully featured, M2000 rated HJC or KJC helmet. I like the integrated visor and the extended field of view, but at +$250-350 (for no more impact protection), it doesn't seem worth it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Speaking of Arai helmets, lets talk about a great rider that is sponsored by that fine company. Eric Bostrom was let go by Kawasaki today! They claim that the company does not wish to compete in AMA superbike for 2004 so they wish Eric great luck in his professional pursuits. That reminds me of what they did to Wayne Rainey at the end of the 1983 season, when after winning the championship on an outdated GPZ 750, he was let go unceremonously by big green, it was not long after that, that they released the worst junk the motorcycle industry has ever seen (900 and 600 Ninjas that lasted 10.000 miles if you were lucky) I wander what they are going to sell to the unsuspecting masses now.

I used to be a Kawasaki fan, but after that, I was left to wander what the deal was. I have been a great fan of EBoz, and because of that, I tolerated big green, but now they show their true colors again. I wish Kawasaki the worst luck in racing!

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: Nice helmet, but $400?!?

Agreed. There are many fine helmets out there that offer much of the same performance at prices substantially lower than the big two (A&S). They just don't have the same cachet, I suppose.

·
Registered
196 Posts

I have both an HJC and an Arai. I've used both on 1000+ mile trips, and the Arai really is more comfortable. It weighs less, and has both less wind resistance, and less wind noise. It also seems to have better ventilation. But unless you ride really long distances on a completely unfaired bike (Yamaha Warrior, in my case) it's probably not worth it for the more expensive helmet. I always wear the cheaper one around town, because I'm less irritated if it gets scratched. (Yes, it is goofy, but goddamnit, I spent $450 on the nice helmet, so it bugs me when I scratch it.)

-Kawazuki

·
The Toad
17,449 Posts

A friend of mine bought a Nolan off the internet for a good price, way below $200. He says it's substantially lighter than his HJC amd a very nice helmet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good revue Uncle Sean,

However, one notable thing about this helmet worth mentioning, is the fact that it's perfect for someone who wears glasses...

MX Goggles fog with no real option to clear them (and keep them clear) without taking your hands off the bars...

A minor crack of the XD visor is enough to keep the visor fog-free.

Just my 2c's

MikeE

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm riding (when the snow melts) a dual-purpose bike. I like the concept of this helmet, but am concerned about the lack of airflow through the chin bar. I would like a similar helmet with the compromise (street vs. off-road) oriented more in the direction of off-road,and about half the price of this model. HJC, are you listening?

·
Registered
230 Posts
There's a brilliant picture attached to the article of Matt Pursley (AMA 343) backing it in to a left-hander.

Matt rides like that ALL THE TIME! I should know, I have to compete against him in our local supermotard series.

The helmet is an interesting curiousity. I wouldn't use it for supermoto racing for the precise reason given in the article. When I'm racing, I get to huffinf and puffing, and a visor just fogs. It's dirt helmets for me!

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW

If it truely had comparable street manners to most other street helmets without the huge visor's. Than other helmet manufacturers need to get their butts in gear and start making street helmets with frigen visors!!!!

How many times have we all had our eyes burned out of our heads from having to ride into the sunset on the way home from work during the short days of winter? And I would assume it would be awsome during rain as well, I know the visor on my old MX helmet did a pretty decent job of keeping the major downpour off my gogles if I titled the helmet just right.

I have used stick on visors before with extremely lame results. They never seem to attatch solid enough. So they vibrate if there at the wrong angle. And they tend to suddenly fly off your helmet at inoportune times. Which is really dangerous cause you pretty much can't help the flinch/wince/look behind you reaction which is not a good thing when your haulin A on the Freeway!!!

I agree with most on this thread. Sure Arai makes some great helmets. But you can definitly get just as good a helmet for half the price 90% of the time. With all helmets whether they cost a hundred dollars or eight hundred dollars. You have to find the one that fits your head. AND buy it from someone that has an exchange program. So if it fit in the shop but kills half an hour down the road you have some recourse.

Hopefully other makers of motorcycle helms will get in on this solidly and permenantly installed areodynamic visor action. AND while there at it why can't we have both a clear and a tinted visor on the helmet at the same time. So we could have the tint flipped down ontop of the clear one during the day, a flip and then the clear that was underneath the rest of the night. AND of course a visor, which would stablize and protect the tinted sheild while it was up, and to deflect the sun and rain when they become visual obstructions...BECAUSE I am sick of being stuck with tint during the night. Being blinded in the day, or getting a headache cause my temples are killing me from having my sunglasses shoved inside my helmet where they were never meant to go. And that stick on off tint is cool but it doesn't have the visual clearity of an actual tinted sheild. And it's a pain to bring an extra sheild with you for every friggin little ride you take. Personally I don't plan every rides begining and ending. So it would be nice to have the right sheild/visor helmet combo for every situation ALL the time...

NOW for that I WOULD pay 550.00....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.