Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reed is showing he can hang with RC but hasnt yet shown he can beat him(at least enough to take the chapionship).At least hes keeping the interest up....should stay interesting and set the stage for a good outdoor season(hopefully RC wont romp again)

·
Registered
1 Posts
As a motocross racer, play rider, street commuter, and roadracer, I highly recommend dirt riding to anyone who hasn't tried it. Physically it's infinitely more challenging than pavement riding, and it sure can raise your level of skill, safety, and confidence to a new level. As long as you ride something......

·
Registered
217 Posts
I second that, especially the part about being a better rider. When you ride the front brake going into a muddy berm 30 times a day a patch of oil or anit-freeze on the street is not nearly as big of a deal. Don't get me wrong, it still tightens up the a**hole, but at least you had the right instinct to deal with the situation. Also it is a LOT more physically demanding.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
When I was motocrossing my CR 500, I would get about 3 laps into a moto and start sitting down over jumps, because I no longer had the strength or energy to stand-up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Some of us are dirt dudes as well as road riders. Being so old now I don't compete, just do trail and adventure rides. This weekend I'm on my DR250R doing the Capital Coast Adventure ride as it known down here in NZ. Great fun but we do some road riding between forest and farm trails so we have to have road registered bikes - no moto-crossers on this one.

Anyone out there able to tell me about Yamaha WR250 or WR450. How reliable are the motors in these bikes the 250 particularly. Do they need stripping regularly like a 2 stroke or are they bullet proof more like an XR250R. I'm looking for something better than the DR250R electric start I have because I like riding and I'm past the days of having time to work on the motors too often so I don't want to hear you got to put in new piston and rings at 5,000 miles and stuff like that. The new versions of these Yams with electric start and road gear are about to hit our shores and I wondered if they are worth buying and if they are capable of being pulled out of the garage every week without too many maintenance hassles. Hey it might finally change my views and get me on the other brand as I have waited too long for Honda to bring out a decent 250 electric start. I have tried the Suzuki but it doesn't cut it really, though it has been reliable.

Cheers

Merv.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Off road riding rules. I've got a WR426F and the thrill you get going almost 90 mph on a fireroad or sandwash is amazing. 4th and 5th gear wheelies, and riding WFO is a lot more fun than you'd think. Plus, it improves your street skills a lot. Many of the very best road riders started in the dirt.

I've got a CBR900RR and a Vmax as well so I'm not biased towards street or dirt. I just think they all kick ass.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just wanted to clear something up. When I say I go into the same berm "30 times a day", I mean in practice. Local races are only 5 to 6 laps total. Heck, I just like to go during practice. I have no championship asperations, reality is too much in my face.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I have only heard good things about the Yammie motors. They do say the 450 could use flywheel weight, but other than that I think that they are bullet proof. 4-strokes run longer between rebuilds, motocross or not, I think they should run for a good while.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Go to www.thumpertalk.com and check out the bikes in the discussion areas. There is everything you want to know in those posts.

Right now, the WR450 is having some early release issues. Honda is coming out with a CRF250X off road bike that will have electric start at the end of this year meaning it will be a 2004 model. Aluminum frame, electric start, LED tailight, etc. It's awesome looking.

My WR426 has been very reliable and it's fast. I can hang with most open 2 strokes in a drag race. Suspension and brakes are fantastic but when the Honda's come out, I may switch back.

John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.