Motorcycle Forums banner

Attempt to Top 259 mph is Scheduled for March.

8K views 47 replies 16 participants last post by  SeanAlexander 
#1 ·
"There aint many that goes by but theyre fast...."

Great story if you sort of get the picture of the old desert road where folks dont see much traffic go by.

#2 ·
I drive on that road regularly. To the south that straight stretch drops about 100 feet and turns sharply to the right. To the north there is a nice slow sweeper that gains 500 hundred feet in a couple of miles, giving him a nice run off. He's gotta run both ways for an official record. I hope he's put as much work into the brakes as he has the engine.

The altitiude is about 6000 feet. I wonder how fast it would go at Bonneville which is about 4,000 feet.

I'm not sure how much truth there is to this article. After all it says he was a dance club owner in Utah County. I think that dancing is illegal there.

#4 ·
Well, actually that road is in the mountains not the desert.

"Not much traffic" is a relative thing. Sure it's nothing like shytholes like LA, but there's always a regular flow of traffic on that road. Indianola only has about 50 people, but there are three or four rec property developements right near there. And Hwy 89 is the main route in that area. I'd say a vehicle passes along every few minutes. Sunday can be the worst day. On Sundays when the weather is nice and all the sightseers, campers and fair weather motorcyclists are out it's a regular freeway.

#6 ·
Hillclimb on a 'Busa??

"nice slow sweeper that gains 500 hundred feet in a couple of miles"

Holy Cr@p!! 50,000 ft in a couple of miles....

Wow~!

Rob

#10 ·
"members of the Utah State Patrol, Fairview Ambulance Service and SanPete County Sheriffs Dept. were standing by" Along with a highway crew equipped with shovels a water truck and a firehose to clean him up when Jethro pulls out the driveway in the ol' '75 F150 for a beer run into town...

"Poor Jethro din't know what hit 'im....musta' been a spaceman goin' so fast".....

#17 ·
Unfortunately I think Dante's overlook and Artist's circle (or whatever it's called) are still both closed. The roads were washed away in the rains this past Spring.

I'd love to do another Death Valley ride but it's not the same if you can't take those two roads.

#18 ·
My favorite town in Sanpete is Mountainview.. pop 8. One guy's farm.

Could be worse. There are 3 counties in Nevada with no population at all. If you've been through there you'd know why.

#20 ·
That's whats funny about Washington and Oregon, the evergreens, rivers and lakes etc are all in a narrow strip between the Cascades and the Pacific. The 75% of the state that's east of the mountains is sage brush, tumbleweeds and rattlesnakes.

Pretty good riding though, all rolling hills and loopy curves with the Columbia cutting through the middle....smell of sagebrush in the air... Just like a damn cowboy movie!

#22 ·
Indianola Wildlife Management Area, Utah

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Vicinity Map Recommended Maps & Books Share With a Friend

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description: 2200-acre juniper woodland and sage grassland provides winter habitat for a large herd of elk, and many mule deer. Viewing is best done from side of the highway, but be cautious pulling in and out of traffic.

Just a little something to put into ones head before going 260 in Indianola.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.