Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
An argument can already easily be made for the statement. What will sign, seal, and deliver the claim though is another couple championships. In the MX world Ricky Carmichael is already making Jeremy McGrath a memory. It's all due not just to winning championships but totally dominating. That is what Rossi is doing, dominating. He’s Michael Jordan in leathers.

·
Registered
291 Posts
hahaha, that's pretty funny:) Probably not the way Suzuki wanted to usher in the RC/Suzuki era.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have to admit, I like what Rossi and Ricky's team changes have done for MotoGP and will do for AMA MX. Honda is dominant in both and having two of the best riders to ever straddle a motorcycle riding for them kind of made things ho hum. But Rossi getting on a Yamaha- that wasn't considered competitive last year- took on the question (and now answered it) "is it Rossi or the bike winning these races?".

Same will go for Ricky on a Suzuki. Plus, we get to see James Stewart in the mix. Can't wait, it's going to be fun.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Re: What about the race!

I know! I missed it but I subscribe to MotoGP.com so I'm going to watch it tonight.

·
Registered
291 Posts
This is probably something most people who follow racing already know but by 2007 the MotoGP bikes are going to be required to run 900cc as opposed to the current limit of 990cc. The reasoning being they are too fast and officials are having safty concerns. But all may not be as it seems (i.e. less cc = safer less hp bike). From the article I read:

"Veteran correspondent Michael Scott commented that the capacity reduction could in fact lead to peakier bikes that are more difficult to ride than the current machines. Also, that such restrictions merely present a challenge to engineers to extract more horsepower from fewer cc's. This may be the case, but one has to wonder where it will lead. "

The article (more like a blip of news) is at:

http://www.v-four.freeserve.co.uk/gp1.htm

·
Registered
291 Posts
To cool. Just read a little bit about Jordan being the newest team owner in AMA road racing. That is one I never would have called. He seems into it.

Did you see Montez Stewart's bike? It's Carolina blue and has the Air Jordan logo between the pipes on the back. There is a good interview on the AMA website as well:

http://www.ussuperbike.com/article.php?UID=J577DN9BNlz5uwLcCB1Hl9Nqlwj3Mp&sc=1136&aid=4791

He talks about leaning to do wheelies and crashing his bike(s)...a 998! Oh to be filthy rich and use your Ducati 998 as your practice bike for stunts.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I have to say I hope not. I was/am a big Jordan fan. But over the past couple years I've started to care less and less about the major US sports. I just can't take the excessive celebration for doing the basic job, the ****iness and showboating, and of course it has gotten so expensive a family of medium/average income would have to take out a loan to go enjoy a game. Obviously there is big money involved in MotoGP but how about AMA racing where a guy can sponsor himself, put his blood, sweat, and tears in to it and race with the big money guys? He's there because sleep, food, and comfort are all secondary to racing. Like Steve McQueen said in LeMans, "When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting." That's the guy I want to see on the track.

I don't want Nike coming in and doing a brand take over and I don't want motorcycle racing to ever develop into what professional football, basketball, etc. have become.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Well said and you had me laughing out loud. Ain't the truth funny?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts