Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was a perfect San Diego day today so I devised a plan to take advantage of it. I drove my truck to the train station in Carlsbad and rode the train downtown to GP motorcycles.

I picked up my Ducati which was receiving its 1st service. I also had a 14 tooth countershaft sprocket installed to rid the bike of the Bonneville gearing.

Temps were in the upper 70s as I headed east on SR94. I hung a left at Buckman Springs road and continued up through the Laguna mountains. The bike just rocks with the new gearing. This might be one of the best all-round motorcycles available right now.

I could see snow on the peaks of the distant mountains from the recent storms, yet I was riding at 6000 ft wearing jeans and a leather jacket. Not bad for December!

Now it gets interesting. Upon returning home, I hopped on the Cuddymobile to ride down to the train station to get my truck. The headlight vibrates off after 1/2 mile. I've got about 5 miles to cover. I cross I5 near the beach and run out of gas! In front of a gas station! My 2nd 2 stroke dry run in the last few days. I figured it was mostly flat since I was on the coast so I started pedaling. And pedaling. On the slight inclines the single speed beach cruiser with motor in the frame started to get a little heavy. I figured I skipped the gym this morning so this would be ok.

Then, the clutch cable started stretching and the clutch started dragging which made pedaling more difficult. I couldn't catch my breath on the downhill portions because I had to pedal downhill!

Thankfully I made it to the train station, pitched the bike in the back of the truck, and drove home.

A fitting end to a perfect day. :cool:

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Ha ha, let the farce be with you...

...can you say RED LOCKTITE?

Sure you can...build up them calf muscles, like a catholic schoolgirl's.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
..DUCT TAPE? CAN YOU SAY DUCT TAPE? (or bailing wire, you will learn grasshopper...)

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
Umm, Buz...

... in a pinch you can just pour some motor oil in the gas at a 20:1 mixture and ride the last few miles to your truck. Won't hurt it. Might need to clean the plugs. A bonus is driving by all those envirowackos.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
... in a pinch you can just pour some motor oil in the gas at a 20:1 mixture and ride the last few miles to your truck. Won't hurt it. Might need to clean the plugs. A bonus is driving by all those envirowackos.
I just manned up and pedaled. It was good excersize and kept the eco-terrorists from torching my house.

·
Registered
7,118 Posts
You got the GT 1000, didn't you? Pure Triumph in Ft. Liquordale let me take one for a pretty good ride. I was impressed! Lots of torque, super light steering, handled like a dream. It had the Termi pipes on it, which sounded terrific; albeit loud. I was really close to buying it, but for some reason the DL1000 just seemed to click for me.

Enjoy!

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,719 Posts
Did you go commando while you were peddeling along a bumpy road in your plaid skirt making all the boys wish they were a bicycle seat?...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts