Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

Hey, Logride.

I was with you for a while, but then you went too far...

"Both [SUVs and Busas] are excess in different directions, and each just as gluttonous."

I agree both are excessive, but Busas get descent gas mileage, they comply with more stringent clean air laws, they don't block the view of the road, they don't cause as much wreckage in the case of an accident (provided they don't crash at 195mph), etc.

SUVs by-and-large get horrible gas mileage, they are exempt from clean air laws, they are impossible to see around, they can't get out of their own way once they're moving, their tonnage amounts to a lot of damage when they go out of control.

Since the SUV adversely affects a much larger circle of people, I believe it is the more "gluttonous."

·
Registered
441 Posts
Re: You drive an SUV, You're an idiot.

"Pursue your dreams, enjoy your life, keep it legal, don't judge others."

Okay, I'm with you on this. But there has to be balance. Remember the famous quote: "Your right to swing your fist ends where my nose begins." - Oliver Wendell Holmes.

So if your SUV causes a traffic hazzard, my nose is starting to get out of joint. Still, I'm willing to seek a balance...

Consider 18-wheeler semi trucks. These cause a traffic hazzard, too. But these commercial transport vehicles really are essential to our "great economic engine," so the added risk they create may be worth the benfit they bring. In other words, there is a balance between the added risk and the added benefit.

An SUV with a few passengers creates added risk on the highways, but it doesn't offer any added benefit like a semi truck delivering goods.

The tricky part is deciding when balance is achieved. That's where democracy comes in... I still vote that people who drive SUVs are gluttons.

I don't mean this as a slight to you, personally. You sound like someone I could call a friend. We just happen to dissagree on the issue of SUVs.

So keep having fun on the dark side, but c'mon, man. Your SUV is blocking my view of the highway, and I can't practice the SIPDE technique they taught in motorcycle safety school.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts