Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism - sold my Hayabusa to buy an eco friendly R1

Well, in order to benefit the environment, and to try to show some restraint in my own personal life, I decided to sell my somewhat porky Hayabusa to get a bike that is a little more efficient on gas, tires, insurance....

To my dismay, I find from reading the latest issue of SportRider, that Honda's 954 gets equal or worse mileage than my Hayabusa did!

But the new R1 is pretty good.

Not only that, but these liter bikes are easier on tires than the old Busa. And cheaper to insure. Plus, being so light, they really don't consume much in the way of natural resources. And so good in the corners....

Before I press on, I should say, that MANY OF US DECIDE WHAT WE WANT FIRST, THEN JUSTIFY THAT DECISION WITH LOGIC. An unfortunate part of the human condition. HOW AM I DOING SO FAR?

Now, I must say, in my defense, that I bought my Busa at least partly because I figured I would be doing lots of two up riding with my wife. Well, I was a little off base there - I should have eased her into those long distance trips. Lesson learned. So the new R1 is more to my needs.

Being able to keep the front wheel of the R1 off the ground for long periods at a time, must also be good for tire life. So I can definitely see some benefits there.

Plus, being so light, it should be easy to trailer behind my highly efficient 4 cylinder Volkswagen. No sense putting extra miles on the bike, on those boring straight stretches that get me to the mountains. Conserving bike tires, natch.

Oh yeah, I got rid of my truck for the Volkswagen. It was a V6 truck, but compared to my Volkwagen, what a guzzler. (Has anybody seen that Honda Civic commercial with the SUV/truck filling up? Hilarious. Brilliant. Brave. Chug-a-lug. I wonder how many people Honda offended with that one. Maybe they didn't dare showing that one in the US.)

And I have virtually stopped commuting to work, to compensate for my hydrocarbon burning bike plans.

Such sacrifice.

Anyways, achieving balance is not an easy thing. But we should each try.

Too easy (and painful) to just say: "Don't burn any gas at all." And so, to achieve balance, I must buy an R1 (or a good used 600, cause on mountain roads it's the rider not the bike).

Oh yeah, SUVs are terribly thermodynamically inefficient. More reason to get that new R1 (or used lightweight sportbike).

Ciao.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.