Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

More power to you, JB! Glad you have a new venue to showcase your remarkable talent. This coming from me - a slightly right-leaning, pro-capitalist bonehead who doesn't have all the answers. Peace out, brother.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

Good point. Statistics can be manipulated to support any argument. Statistics can also be meaningless when not taken in context. Sure, our energy use per capita is higher than any other country - I suspect our GDP per capita is also at or near the top. It's like comparing the aluminum consumption of Honda with that of Moto Guzzi without regard for number of bikes produced by each. Sure we use up much of the earth's resources - but we give back commensurately.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Everyone has the answer and no one is listening!

JB inspired some interesting commentary from readers. A general observation: Why do we feel the need to dig up the dirt in our neighbor's yard when the dirt in our own yard is perfectly well-soiled? Muslim or Jew, sportbiker or cruiser, american or armenian - it doesn't matter. Nobody likes a selfish, pompous, ignorant, oppressive attitude. I keep reminding myself that an open mind opens doors. JB speaks to this in his second-to-last paragraph.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Re: Everyone has the answer and no one is listening!

I needed to be more specific in my above comments - I wasn't referring so much to us as americans. On the contrary, I'm referring to some of the posts. I can respect and learn something from a differing opinion if it's presented in a constructive, open-minded format. With that said, I again want to thank the majority of my fellow MO readers for your thought provoking input.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·

Bryan, I've found most of your posts enlightening - but gotta call you on this one:

"Anyone who has ever traveled to other countries, even the realitive prosperity of Europe, almost always comes back with a new awareness of how sick our culture really is. It is beyond my comprehension that any thinking person can come to any conclusions other than those you have expressed."

I've experienced different cultures all over the world for the last 20 years, and every time I return I'm thankful to be an american - I'm no ethnophobe either - in fact, my mother recently became an american citizen. According to you, I must not be a "thinking person" since I don't agree with all the conclusions expressed.

If anything, our culture breeds too much negativity, cynicism and intolerance. For every negative point, there's a positive counterpoint if you look closely enough. For all those griping about energy consumption and SUVs - do you ride your bicycle to work? Lead by example.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #101 ·

Ditto, man!! I'd never buy an SUV, and I agree that they are loathsome and do have an indirect effect on us allv- but I respect the SUV owner's freedom of choice. If we want to make a difference, let's do so with constructive actions - not narrow-minded words. As I said, lead by example.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

Who said anything about taking resources away from the rest? Who said anything about being better than the rest? Who said anything about having the right to abuse power? Those are your words, your inference. You're entitled to your own opinion - but it seems like a lot of us have all the answers, and a lot of us are more interested in making up someone else's mind for them.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't do everything right, and I don't have all the answers. That's why I'm not going to moan about what's wrong with the world unless I know I'm doing everything I reasonably can to change it.

Mind your brothers, but focus on cleaning your own house first.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·

SilverBullet - I like a lot of what you have said on this topic, and you seem like a dude I could drink a beer with (AFTER putting the keys away). However, what I think people need to lighten up on is deciding what's right and what's wrong for SOMEONE ELSE. When you tell me that you know what someone else doesn't need, I see that as their freedom of choice being attacked. Among other things. After all, do you REALLY need a motorcycle?? I'm just saying - seems like a lot of "pot calling the kettle black".

Funny thing is, if we all met at Willow Springs for a track day, we'd be having a blast and slapping each other on the back. Good discussion, but I vote we wrap it up and get back to motorcycles. I promise, last post on this topic for me ;-)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #117 ·

By the way, where's prolific poster Joe_Momma in this discussion? Out measuring the lean angles of open classers? Come back, Joe - Burnsie had a little comic relief at your expense, but we miss you...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·

tedsim -

A) I'm not sure if it's federal law, but I do know that in CA and HI it's legal for a motorcyclist to ride in HOV lanes.

B) Most motorcycles are not single occupancy.

C) Don't be so quick to judge.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·

Burnsie, if you're so against waste - then why do you ride a motorcycle for fun?

Great writing, by the way. I always look forward to your rants and ravings - I may not agree with you, but I'm ALWAYS entertained and I usually learn something. Cheers, bro.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·

AstonMartin posts: "Hey, I'm surprised...there's definitely hope...well said NoKneeDown..."

This was the first non-abrasive, non-defamatory, non-negative, non-cynical comment I've seen you post. Good for you - I hope it's not the last. Peace, bro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts