Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

Hi John,

I think you're making a common mistake which is to think that our (motorcyclists) freedoms are essential while other's are frivolous or gluttonous. This type of mentality leads to the countless attempts of one group of people to impose their values on another group. History is littered with examples. As for the abundance or scarcity of oil there are 2 curious aspects to the arguement.

First, oil production and prices hover around a point which maximizes revenue to the producers. These include all of the Arab countries that supposedly decry our gluttonous and materialistic ways. Interesting that their bread is buttered with our excess.

Second, although there are numerous examples of distorted reporting, that's no reason to throw out all work that attempts to estimate our energy reserves. The key is to do your homework. As you know from riding the 954, GSXR1000, and R1, our science may be imperfect but it is pretty damn good. Our total energy reserves are quite huge with oil being amongst the cheapest and most available. Our sun shines down approximately 2.825e25 joules of energy each year which equates to almost 7000 times our worldwide energy consumption so when solar cells get cheap enough, or oil scarce enough, we will switch.

The fact of the matter is that the US is both beautiful and frustrating because we attempt to let people alone to decide what course their lives should take. It doesn't always feel that way becuase we get caught up in our own matters but compared to the Taliban or other repressive regimes around the world, this place is a candyland of freedoms.

So I hear you. I hate Sport Futility Vehicles too. I can't understand why someone would spend 40 grand to drive a slow, ugly thing that doesn't stop, go, or turn. I just try to separate my value judgement (buying an SUV is stupid) from the legitimate infringement on my freedom (they hog the left lane block my safe passage). We need to fix the latter but if you're going to attack the former, you need to bring more than that tired environmentalist-as-anti-capitalist-ideology rhetoric.

And still I hope you will rant on!

Dennis

·
Registered
37 Posts

Just think, a few weeks ago you were worried about the overabundance of kind words. You thought we were going all "single white female" on you. Now you can relax.

·
Registered
37 Posts

My only point is that we have a direct source of renewable power that is pumping roughly 7000 times our current (1997 figures) power consumption. That suggests from the back of a ****tail napkin calculation that the problem is hardly intractable.

I also agree with you and Grapelli that there are self interested parties who don't want to cannibalize current oil revenues. Father of industrialization Adam Smith noted that "it's not from the benevolence of the oil sheik that the world gets its petroleum, but from his self-interest". Even so, alternatives will become competitive soon enough.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts