Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
SUV drivers ARE idiots!

A Marxist friend once called me an Anarchist. I did a little research and found out he was right. He thought he could convert me. Fat chance- I ride a motorcycle every day in traffic.

What does this have to do with anything, let alone your rant? I belive that the greatest authority and the only legitimate authority is one's own common sense and willingness to assume personal responsiblity. We are individually responsible TO each other, not FOR each other. This is an important distinction.

I happen to believe very strongly in taking personal responsibility for my own actions and my own self. The idiots in giant SUVs don't take responsibility for anything. They are keeping their sorry butts safe from weather, other drivers, their own lack of skill and attention, and anything else they can squash away.

You can make your own choices here in the USA, but as far as I am concerned, if you wallow along in an SUV, you belong in a nanny state that blows your nose for you, because that is what you want: no responsibility for anything, including your own welfare or the consequences of your actions. The whole point of these SUVs is to isolate the driver from anything outside.

I ride a bike, so I have to be aware of everything around me, from road conditions to idiots in SUVs. I burn a lot less fuel, use much smaller tires, use a little less oil, and take up a whole lot less room on the road. I don't block anybody's line of sight. I don't even listen to the radio and pollute my brain with commercials. I am part of the world around me, not isolated from it. That is MY choice.

Motorcycles make less toxic waste in the manufacturing process, use smaller parts, and generally require fewer resources to make and maintain. A bike takes up about 10% of the space to park. You can put a whole bike repair shop in the same amount of space it would take to park on or two SUVs.

There is nothing good about an SUY. An SUV combines the worst features of a van, a station wagon, and a four wheel drive pickup, without the advantages of any of them. They usually have things like heated leather seats than only a sybarite would want. There are just too many idiots who buy these enormous fashion accessories. Nothing like a Lincoln Navigator with chrome wheels and brush guards.

Of course, if the general population were not such a bunch of idiots, I couldn't feel so superior, but that is another rant for another day.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Points Taken and Missed

Point 1- I agree with you.

Point 2- low mass is its own reward. Try it, you might like it.

Point 3- I do commute on my bike. I put about 2500 miles on the car, mostly hauling kids. On my own, I ride in everything but driving snow.

Point 4- I won't argue. I sure like it here and don't plan to leave. Might be nice if we would admit that there are other ways of looking at things every now and then, though,

Your point 5 leaves me a little stumped. There are a number of less populated countries on the planet. A number of them are quite spread out. A little geography knowledge would help your point.

Point 6- why wasn't he in the HOV lane, anyway? Maybe there wasn't one where he needed it.

So there you have it.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: SUV drivers ARE idiots!

You bet that using less resources is a positive byproduct. But some of the other advantages- namely a very immediate connection to the surrounding world, heightened awareness of changing conditions and those around you, and personal responsibility for paying attention and being prepared are directly related to the freedom that attracts people like me to bikes.

I ride in hot and cold weather. When it rains, I get wet. I have no defroster. I don't need that stuff. On the bike, I am free of all that. My bike works for a living hauling my sorry butt to work every day. I get there awake without coffee, because I taste a little freedom and a little life on the way in. I am not wrapped in an artificial metal womb that keeps me isolated from everything and lets me avoid thinking for an extra half hour each way.

You are right- it is a choice. It is a more adventurous and intellegent choice. There is some rationalization involved, but I see the values associated with choosing to ride a bike as mostly positive, while the values associated with driving an SUV are mostly negative.

I could rant for a long time, so I better just stop now!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Re: SUV drivers ARE idiots!

Hey, Viffer-dude, read my posts carefully. You will notice that my thinking is mostly about taking personal responsibitly for one's self and the consequences of one's actions. Hmmm... I often vote for Democrats, but the so-called conservative Republicans talk about personal responsibility more than the Democrats do. So, if believing in thoghtfulness and responsibility makes me a hate-filled, wacko, eco, leftist, well, I guess I am guilty, then.

I don't hate you for driving an SUV, I don't hate anybody. I think you are an idiot for buying one. You have just convinced me a little further with your extremely defensive response. There are lots of choices and lots of alternatives that do the same thing an SUV does for most SUV drivers. There are a few people who actually need an SUV, but for most, it is a fashion statement or a "safety" purchase.

It is not just about resources or inconsiderate behavior. It is about self-centeredness and self-importance. Sure, lots of people are inconsiderate. The SUV driver wraps his sorry butt in a huge inefficient mass of sheet metal, transferring the consequences of his inattention or inconsideration onto somebody else. If a rider isn't paying attention, he is the one who will pay the price. An SUV driver squashes the other guy. Are you so important that you must be isolated from the world and its hazards? Are you more important than the guy in the Geo Metro or a pedestrian? Have you thought about things that way, ever once in your life? Just asking...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts