Motorcycle Forums banner
181 - 200 of 211 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Re: Burns:: Friday Fanaticism

You're the paramount of stupidity. The Great American Knucklehead. The Royal A**hole. The USA did not save no European countries, nor other countries on other continents. They went there 'cause it was money in it. You damn fu**er.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I've spent most of my adult life overseas, been to more third world countries than most, and your comment about Americans not being held in high esteem is questionable at best. In fact, I've always found most people "like" your average American, and the majority of them in most third world nations I've been in, would like nothing better than to move to America.

As to the effects of imperialism, that responsibility lies more with the Europeans than Americans. Our short and not very successful stint at imperialism started toward the end of the 19th Century.

At the end of WWII most of the world looked to us as a model to emulate. Is it completely our fault that they didn't realize their dreams?

·
Registered
729 Posts

What JB has done here, I think, is play a bit of a devil's advocate. The purpose of any editoral rant is to stir up some opinion. Judging from the volume and tenor of the responses here I'd say the trick's been done. Anything that gets people to think then communicate is a good thing.

Nothing exists by itself. Motorcycles are a subset of life. The occasional foray from "just the facts ma'am" bike reviews into more esoteric topics is just fine by me. That is the one of the beauties of this particular medium - it readily lends itself to this type of forum. I am really digging the responses to this topic. There are some really thoughful MO'ers out there from all angles on this. Of course there are some nimrods as well, but I dig you too.

Peace, out

Martin

·
Registered
85 Posts
Re: You drive an SUV, You're an idiot.

Aston Martin? I assume from this that you drive an Aston Martin. Good for you!

I took a moment to go back and read your last ten posts. One can only conclude that you are a judgemental "know it all" who has some sort of ***** with everyone who disagrees with your narrow view of life.

You sound like a bitter little man who can't quite understand the big picture. As far anyone being shallow and ignorant, how would you know? Do you know me personally, do you know what I have done in my life, accomplishments, failures etc. No you don't. However, you are free to conclude and generalize.

To say the things that you do about SUV owners and alike is making my point. Why do you assume and generalize with such distain?

You seem to be knee deep in conspiracy theory as well, please tell me your not a basement dwelling X-Files type. BTW do you live in the US? You sound like you may be happier somewhere else, not a judgement, just an observation.

Part of being a mature adult is to accept others as they are. Try it, you may make some new friends!

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Re: Friday Fanaticism

Thanks John. Another good'n.

My thoughts. People in the US choose SUV's for a number of reasons, one of them being the missperception of safety that the media conveys upon them. Perhaps, if our young drivers were better trained, and driver's licenses harder to attain, this type of behavior would not be exhibited. It is telling that the US is the only country in the world where automobile with automatic transmissions outsell manuals.

As far as oil consumption goes, there are archaeologists who believe that that the largest deep oil deposits have yet to be located. Do these other posters really believe that there is an ongoing conspiracy to bury technological advances in powering vehicles? Heck, we could do much by just going full-bore on nuclear power. Nuke waste concerns? remember, crude oil was once regarded as a useless by-product of natural gas production.

So, where am I going with theis?

1. We have lousy drivers in the US, always will.

2. I believe the energy production picture is much better than expressed here on this board.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: Friday Fanaticism

Dude,

What do archaeologists have to do with oil? The average aracheologist I know doesn't know a petrochemical from a box of shredded wheat. Did you mean geologist?

I think that the problem of fossil fuel consumption is larger than just a resource management issue. We probably have at least 150 years of fossil fuels left at even pessimestic rates of future consumption. The problem is that if we continue to burn fossil fuels at even the present rate we will asphyxiate outselves in about 50 years. So the energy production picture is only part of the problem.

Cheers

·
Registered
13 Posts

Funny how no one has mentioned prices and how they prevent the exhaustion of scarce resources.

See, the problem with oil is that it has become LESS scarce lately. That happens -- sometimes you just find new oil and there's a larger supply than anyone thought. But it's certainly very true that there MUST be a limit to the amount of oil available, but anyone who understands the most basic principles of price theory knows that as oil really starts to run out, the price will rise. When gas gets to be $5 or $10 a gallon here in the US, you will see a change in peoples' auto purchase habits.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #195 ·

Burnsie, if you're so against waste - then why do you ride a motorcycle for fun?

Great writing, by the way. I always look forward to your rants and ravings - I may not agree with you, but I'm ALWAYS entertained and I usually learn something. Cheers, bro.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·

AstonMartin posts: "Hey, I'm surprised...there's definitely hope...well said NoKneeDown..."

This was the first non-abrasive, non-defamatory, non-negative, non-cynical comment I've seen you post. Good for you - I hope it's not the last. Peace, bro.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts

Let me clarify my SUV distaste. Basically I only hate the large two Fords. Since they are new and most people are brand loyal nobody in the ford camp is used to driving something this large. I see excursions and expeditions going from reflector to reflector. Yet I see suburbans pretty much driving straight. Though I believe that is due to the suburban being around for 50 years and repeat buyers. So they are used to driving a bus. As for Midsized SUV's I dont have a problem. My now ex-jeep cherokee was actually smaller than my 95 Nissan 240sx. Blew my mind that parking it, it was 4 inches shorter than the 240 and a couple inches narrower. With all the glass the Jeep had many less blind spots than any other car I have driven. Last night the jeep was traded in for a 4runner which has a little less visability but a hell of a lot better than the RSX I drove too. I would be more apt to flatten someone in an RSX than the 4Runner. I have yet to see an excursion go straight though, and something that huge weaving is down right frightning.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I think gluttony has little to do with why Islamic peoples hate the USA. I must confess that I drive a 14 year old Caprice Wagon,which was the SUV of the '80's(but you CAN see over it while on a motorcycle and it WON'T rollover!). As a participant in "gluttony", may I say that I'd much rather spend my money on a motorcycle than trade in my ole' wagon for years of indebtedness paying off the loan on a more current model!

Burnsey-did you ever stop to think that our CIA and politicians messed in the affairs of MANY of these same Islamic countries for DECADES? Take Iran for example- We put the Shah in power,kept him in power,and our CIA trained his secret police in torture techniques. Most of our interference since WWII was not in the interests or desires of much of the populace in these countries.

A second reason they hate us is our backing of Israel,which they would have pushed into the Mediterranean decades ago without our 7-10 BILLION dollars of arms and aid to Israel EVERY year,almost since Israel's founding in the late '40's. They HATE Israel and they hate the USA for making Israel possible for decades.

And I think you are VERY misinformed. To them, we ARE heathens and INFIDELS! Anyone who's not Islamic almost automatically gets lumped in those catagories in their culture.

Just my humble opinion,of course!

181 - 200 of 211 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.