Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Steve, while I agree with you about gvt. nannying us to death, you miss one big difference w/ military. As long as you wear that green or blue suit you are gummit property. The gvt. generally has a considerable investment in time money and training that they would rather you not destroy by doing something stupid. Having said that, as I remember, most of us were, or at least acted, about half crazy when we got back from Nam. It's a wonder most of us survived various stupid antics involving booze, cars, and motorcycles.

· Registered
25 Posts
Completely wrong at least in my case. I returned from Iraq with a healthy appreciation for life and not a feeling of invincibility. Just in a split second I could have been no more. The whole article is just pure BS. I would think AAFES would need to cancel the car buying programs too.

· Registered
173 Posts
I agree. Sometimes it doesn't pay to scream. There is the underlying issue of the ability of these low skills riders to drop by their local dealer and buy a very powerful sportbike, even using mfgrs. low credit rates. I am all for tiered licenses in the good old USA. If it works for airplanes it works for motorcycles. When I was a VFR (visual flight rules) pilot I still had a blast, now that I have moved up, still have a blast. Seems to address a lot of issues. OH, I forgot about the "freedom" issues- freedom to kill ourselves, freedom to act irresponsibly, to not wear a helmet, to carry guns, etc. If we are sheep enough to sit still for airport security (sic) then tiered licenses are not a freedom issue.

If you let loose a low skill pilot with a high performance aircraft, you increase the chances of a bad result significantly. The only difference from motorcycles is the barrier to entry ($$$) for a pilot. Sill we have accidents - most of which are "pilot continued flight into adverse conditions" aka pilot error. Testosterone and no fear is a very dangerous mix.

· Registered
1,188 Posts
While that sounds a bit like some sort of 'nanny state' rule, I think it might make sense to limit the size and horsepower of the first motorcycle a person owns. You have to keep it a year, and then can buy whatever the hell you want. I think the Brits do it that way. We don't let kids drive around unsupervised for a time nowadays, in an attempt to keep a few more of them alive while they learn what the hell it is they're doing.

· Registered
323 Posts
The facts are what they are about the number of deaths involving motorcyclists. The reasons are debatable. I don't think it's a matter of feeling invincible. I think people just want to have fun. A lot of people (especially single folks) have enough cash saved when they come back from a tour in the sandbox to get any new bike they want. I imagine that most of them (especially new riders) step right up to more motorcycle than they can handle, not understanding that it isn't like driving a car. Going from a go-cart to a Corvette is a lot easier than going from a bicycle to a literbike.

· Registered
473 Posts
here is a piece of advice: if a journalist claims in an article that he or she has identified a "trend" based on a single data point ... take it with a HUGE grain of salt. they are looking to sensationalize and they are incompetent when it comes to numbers.

this may or may not be a real trend, and it may or may not be caused by "feelings of invincibility" brought on by the war.

· Registered
46 Posts
Re: For some it never wears off

I saw an article on those injuries. The steep tank backs on sportbikes stop you moving forward in a crash but also cause some real bad injuries like a split pelvis which ain't good in anybodies' book. I'm going to lay 'er down next time so I can be safe!

· Registered
323 Posts
The data on accidental deaths among the military is legit. it is tracked very closely by the military safety centers (they have an entire command dedicated to improving safety through accident investigation and lessons learned). Motorcycle fatalities among service members is a big deal in the services right now. Air Force has been having some success reducing the rate of fatalities among airmen, which they attribute to their motorcycle mentorship program. This is not just sensationalist journalism at work.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.