Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a sport bike that will be suitable for major trips.

Oxymoron alert.

I'm also not sure why you would want a motorcycle with more breaking.

A ZRX1200 might do the trick except for the 'breaking' part.

·
Registered
49 Posts
have u had a look at the reviews section here... a good place to get u started.

Aprillia - a few to choose from

BMW - again a few sports models here

Duc's

Honda - blackbird

Kaw- zzr 1200 + lots of others

Moto guzzi

Suzuki, Triumph...

lots to choose from depending on price and ergos...

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Even though you discounted them, a Hayabusa or ZX-14 is your ticket. A new Busa can be had out the door for less than a new VFR or GSXR-750. The ZX-14 would be a bit more pricey, and Foxy here could give you the news on how that bike works. My Busa is every bit as comfy as a VFR with 50 more horsepower. It runs on 87 octane and gets 45 to 48 mpg on the highway, and handles decently for a GT bike. The motor is bulletproof and there are about a million aftermarket parts for it. Check out how Pashnit set his Busa up for touring HERE. If you don't want an ST or a SuperSport, then get a GT. Busa or ZX-14 is what you want. I doubt you would be disappointed with either.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
You might find a Tuono to be fun, comfortable and trip worthy if you fit some luggage. There are a few KTMs that might be ok and there are two MVs that I'd not be afraid to ride on longer rides. A Buell or two might fit the bill too. Don't be afraid to rotate that chest up off the tank when looking for a fun ride. It's that weight off the wrists that will let you do the longer rides.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You should get the GSXR750. It's what you obviously want. Certainly not the bike I would get. I have done many 1000 mile days in the saddle of my ST1100 and my wife did her first and only 1000 mile day on her '98 VFR. We both loved that bike though we can't say much good about the new model.

I've ridden an older GSXR750 and if I was to go on a long trip on it I would never have made it home. I'd be under some country jail buried by more citations than Johnny Cochran could have gotten me out of. I use the bulk and girth of my ST to govern my racerboy demon.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's called insurance!

Last time I checked the insurance costs for me on a ZX-14 it was way higher then most normal bikes.

A BMW K1200S or K1200R was less then a 1/4 the costs for insurance and much more comfortable on a long trip.

I didn't see heated seats grips and auto suspension adjustment options on the Hayabusa or ZX-14

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Re: It's called insurance!

I pay 300 bucks a year for full coverage on a Busa. I bet you pay more than that for your Beemer. Last time I checked, you could buy a Busa and a ZX-14 for one K1200S. Not such a great deal, I'd say. So you got a BMW for a heated seat? You are kidding, right?

·
Registered
47 Posts
My first thought was a Buell XB12SS or XB12R. They both have great ergos, with the 12R being much like you VFR and the SS being a little more relaxed. The 12R is easier to find used if you are budget concious, but the 12SS can be found used if you look hard enough. If you have questions about the Buells, www.badweatherbikers.com is the place to go.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm 53 and currently ride a VFR. I would also like something more comfortable, more powerful, better handling, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't found that anyone makes a bike like that. I can get faster and better handling (see various choices posted above) or faster and more comfortable (again, see above). Still waiting for all three qualities in one bike. Let me know if you find something. (FJR1300 is certainly more powerful and more comfortable. Handling is not quite as good. Weighs a lot more, too. But is an option.)

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
GSXR-750 is the best value in motorcycling. If you are worried bout confront get riser bars or do what I do go to the gym.. Busa is long heavy straight road machine.. It might be good for longride (kbully) because he is a giant compared to you. I think you would find it far less agile than your VFR. Follow your gut... and it's saying GSXR-750.. Good choice. Don't listen to the kgang (GPTB)

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.