Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone tell me how to stop a 2000 Vulcan Nomad from whineing when you are accelerating on the road in four and fith gears, its very annoying to other when on a long ride, thanks

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Have those particular gears always whined, or is this a recent thing? If they always whined, it is probably from the cut of those particular gears that is making them do that.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
And, are you CERTAIN it's coming from the rear, and not the transmission?

If the shaft gearbox is out of oil, you've likely found your culprit. If not, a friend with a moto-lift that can get the back tire off the ground and a quick run through the gears whilst probing with a mechanic's stethoscope will pinpoint the noise.

I don't need to tell you to keep all fingers out of any moving parts, or to make absolutely certain the bike is securely lashed to the lift while operating, do I?

I knew you knew that. :cool:

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I've been told the is common on Vulcans. A buddy changed to a synth rear-end (repsol maybe) fluid. Seems to have quieted but never actually gone.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Sho nuff that usta happen on my old Diamond T Rio, 'till I filled the tranny up with coal oil and Wyyns motor puree.

That sucker shifted slick as owl snot, and didn't make nar to no noise 'tall.

U betcha.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.