Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damn!! The locals Suzuki dealer has a leftover blue 2002 Bandit that will probably have a nice price come time for Suzuki Fest. With this new information about the oil burning problem, I don't know if I should get the bike. The guy also has a 2001 ZRX1200 brand new for $6999, but the bike does nothing for me. It has a nice engine, but not much else. Also, I'm not a big fan of Kawasaki's record of reliability. Does anyone know any facts about the problem with the Bandits? There is a ton of info on the above link from owners who have experienced this problem, but it seems that the problem is hit and miss. And who the hell would think that it's reasonable to have your new bike rebuilt? Anyone with info about this bike's, or other large standard's (919, FZ1, ZRX) problems please help out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The 01 ZRX12 is a better bike than than the 01/02 Bandit IMNSHO...and I own a Bandit ! Stiffer frame, better handling (better stock suspension) and a little bit stronger motor.

JL

96 Bandit12S

89 KR1-250

·
Registered
36 Posts
I used to have a 2000 Bandit S and I can tell you that the best ride I ever took it on was the one to the dealer to trade it in on my 2001 R1. When I bought the Bandit I traded in my 1998 ZX-9R thinking that it would be nice to have a comfortable standard that could still go out for the occasional ride in the mountains. To put it bluntly the Bandit was a turd. A vibrating turd at that. My hands and feet would be numb after about 30 minutes aboard the Suzuki from the buzzy bars and pegs. If I were to ever consider a standard again I believe that I would take a long hard look at a 900 Monster. I have a good friend who has one with clip-ons in place of the bars and it is big fun to ride. It actually turns in quicker than my R1, has awesome looks and sounds, and buckets more low end torque than any of the inline four standards.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I believe that it would be impossible for this to leak oil and Suzuki not to acknowledge the problem. KPaul has assured us that all Japanese products are better and more inovative. I bet that this is a new design to prevent the consumer from ever having to change the oil. Just add it as you ride. What won't they think of next.

Take care,

Dave

·
Registered
19 Posts
I agree! I own neither. I ride a V-max. From all the info I have been able to get(online info and talking w/others) the ZRX12 is the bargain in this category, but if you prefer the Bandit's styling go w/the FZ1. I belive either machine would be a blast to ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have a 2002 Bandit 1200S that doesn't burn any oil at all. If you read up on it, the general opinion is that the new, larger oil holes in the pistons (compared to the older generation bikes) are causing some bikes to burn oil. I love my Bandit - I commute on it, joyride on it, have even taken a three state tour on it. Best bike I've ever owned in stock form...

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
This is a bit surprising to me. I own a '91 GSX1100G shaftie. The motor is almost the same as the Bandit's. My motor is extremely smooth. I go 4K between oil changes (Mobil1) without adding a drop. I never leaks a drop either. I've got nearly 50K on it without a single burp.

So how did they wreck an already functional design? Is this another example of Japanese "innovation"?

Suzuki's unwillingness to admit problems is nothing new. They never recalled the old alternator problem from the old GS series either. It was easily fixed with an aftermarket regulator, made by the Brits (believe it or not). Suzuki would only replace the burnedout parts while the bike was still under warranty, then so-long-sucker.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
From what I've gathered, it's a hit and miss problem, that shows itself from day one, IE if it's going to smoke it'll do it from the start. There was also a few suggestion,s on max-suzuki, and bandit alley that owners may have been inadvertantly overfilling by going by the sight glass instead of measuring oil on oil changes, it takes exactly 3.7 qt.'s, And it takes a while for the level to settle out, Suzuki should stand behind their product on this, so there's no excuse there, but they're not alone in failure to acknowledge a defect, My '01 1200 w/ 22kmi.'s doesn't smoke or use oil. The 2001 + bikes are much improved over the earlier versions, and as an all around bike I'd say it was better handling and better wind protection than a ZRX, and more comfortable than an FZ1, but I guess they're both faster, ultimately I'm happy with my bandit, 'course there's a few other bike's I'd like to own too. Besides it's only the silver ones that have problems.

·
Registered
446 Posts
And don't forget about this one:

"well, see, the Hayabusa is SOOO powerful that the rear wheel is rotating sooo quickly that it generates its own gravity well, see, and that causes the subframe to collapse down into it....what, we should have engineered around that?!...listen, Mate, we've a motor driving a small black hole back there, what do expect, if you riders would lose weight, it might not go down like that, and anyway, we did engineer around it; we restricted the bike in compliance with the 300kph "gentlemen's agreement, so less powah, so no space-time singularity rear tire, so no gravitational force to "collapse" the subframe. We see no cause whatever for recalling the 'busa. Easy, see?"

·
Registered
446 Posts
And another thing.

This will all blow over. the moto press will view it as just another isolated incident, and continue to propound that hogwash about Jap bikes being innately created by God with ULTRA-MEGA-INDESTRUCTO RELIABILITY. I have come to belive that the "Jap bikes are much more reliable." line is so much snake oil. Over the past week or so I've read about 'Wings and Interceptors with 20 years of bad electrics, Bandits leaking oil, 'busa subframes folding mysteriously, K-bikes that overheat because the computer isn't having both radiator fans come on. Odd, isnt all this precisely why the Jap brands displaced Brit bikes in the marketplace?

And yet, it will blow over. No one will put two and two together to figure out that Jap bikes are not always the best ride for Ultraman and Mothra.

But God help us if Buell issues a recall over a shock that never (so far as I know) failed anywhere but in a lab. Why, those things are deathtraps. They ought not be allowed to produce. The arrogant irresponsibility of it all. American goods are shyte, as we've always suspected...just goes to show you.

Along with Ike, I say, "Nuts."

·
Registered
246 Posts
...and the winner for funniest post I've read in a while goes to the_aerodynamic_head for his blackhole 'busa post. Please repost to your local Suzuki dealership to claim your prize. Walk right up to the Service Manage and say, "KPaul has a long moustace, wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more." He'll know what to give you.

Dave

·
Registered
8 Posts
break-in

I know two guys who have bandits (2001 and 2002 models respectively). Contestant number one followed the break-in procedure to the number, and his bandit doesn't burn a bit of oil. Contestant number two largely ignored the break-in schedule, enjoying wheelies and hands full of throttle from the start. He burns just over half a quart every 600 miles. A local mecahnic says his compression is lower than it should be.

Perhaps proper breakin has something to with it the problem since, in this case at least, the 2002's rings apparently didn't seat well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Re: break-in

It is overly large oil holes. Have a buddy who got his 2001 replaced by Suzuki with an 02 and it smoked too until they put 2000 pistons in it. He said you can see the difference when you hold the two pistons side by side. They are reportedly back the smaller holed pistons now.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Don't forget the flap over the new ST1300/Pan European and the engine mounting bolt tolerances. Seems some are getting high speed weaves like the old Z1 because the engine bolt torque values are out of spec from the factory. Full recall is out, I heard.

--The Fox

·
Registered
1 Posts
I own a 2001 Bandit and fell in love with it from day one. Unfortunately, it smoked and consumed oil like crazy. Suzuki tells me that 1 qt within 1000 miles is acceptable. (In my written maintenance log, it shows my Bandit consuming a quart every 150 to 600 miles) However, after much haggling (sp?) and complaining my dealer was able to convince Suzuki to finally honor the warranty just due to the excessive smoking. They changed out the pistons just this last summer.

I am very unhappy with Suzuki's customer service. The overall message I got from them was that I made the problem up, and that I was overreacting to a normal circumstance. They took the defensive every time and acknowledged NO problem what so ever. Even when they swapped the pistons out, which Suzuki said was unnecessary, but will be done anyhow to show their good-will. I have spoken to many others who are suffering with this same problem and same attitude from Suzuki. Customer service ranks high with me, and I will not purchase another Suzuki product until I believe that they fully back their customers with the service and support we were promised, either at time of purchase, or in their advertisements.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I purchased my '01 Bandit 1200 in June of 2001. I followed the manufacture's break-in procedure. The bike consumed about 3/4 of a quart of oil per 1,000 miles. I argued with suxzuki for almost a year until they finally agreed to fix my bike. The problem that effects about 50% of late model Bandit 1200's cut and past this to see the results of a poll conducted at Maximum-Suzuki.com http://www.maximum-suzuki.com/ibf/index.php?act=ST&f=18&t=7351&s=20561c24aed312543048485872014c75

The problem is caused by defective pistons. The fix is to hone the cylinders and replace the pistons and rings. Pictures of these defective pistons next to normal pistons can be seen at Maximum-Suzuki.com. The parts to fix my bike were back ordered and it wasn't until OVER 1 full year from the date of sale that my bike received the new pistons/rings and was SUPPOSEDLY fixed. The stealer broke a fin off of my cylinder, glued it back on and retuned the bike to me without a word about it being said. They also misrouted the fuel line, over filled the crankcase with oil and scratched the frame in several places

I noticed the broken fin a week later and confronted the service manager about it. He denied knowledge of the broken fin but advised me that he would talk to the mechanic who did the work on my bike. The service manager wouldn't let me speak to the mechanic, which was probably a smart move on his part b/c I was kinda pissed off as you might imagine. The service manager advised that the mechanic fessed up to breaking the fin and that he would order a new cylinder block.

After waiting on another back order I again drop the bike off at the shop. this time the service manager performed the work himself. October 25, 2002 (remember I purchased this bike June, 2001) I get the bike back from rebuild no. 2. I have put about 1 miles on her since the 2nd rebuild and it appears to be fixed.

Bottom line if you buy one of these Bandit 1200's you have a 50-50 chance of getting an oil burner. Suxzuki may or may not agree to fix it. The have refused to fix many of these oil burners and have made other do kabooki dances just to get their brand new bikes fixed. If they do agree to fix it prepare for them to do a very poor job. My experience with poor quality service from a stealer is the rule not the exception.

I have ridden mine from Ft Lauderdale, Florida to Reno, NV and back (burend 5 quarts of oil along the way). It was plenty comfortable. I have also rode the Dragon at Deals Gap quite a few times. I have used it to commute in city traffic. Its a great all around motorcycle. Still I would highly advise anyone considering the purchase of a bandit to consider an Yamaha FZ1, Kawasaki ZREX or Z 1000 or a Honda 919. I am happy with my Bandit now but it was not worth the aggravation. I should have bough a FZ1. I will never buy another suxzuki again. Not b/c of the problwm but b/c of the poor service that i and fellow Bandit owners have received. There is areason why these bikes are cheap!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.