Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Congrats Mat. Congrats Aaron and Kurtis. Next year should be interesting. I'm not sure the AMA is taking a long view of the sport. I would like to see them allow the state of the art to advance in motorcycle performance while allowing as many different bikes as possible to compete. A tall order to be sure but the upside seems worthwhile. I'd like a "Stock" (very limited mods) "Open" class on "Real" (not 100 mile racing DOT) street tires, maybe with no direct factory participation (other than contingency money), a novice class? I think that the engines should be sealed at the start of the season and not changed without a heavy penalty (unless the bike is crashed perhaps). One set of tires per weekend. Maybe a couple of 200 to 500 mile endurance events thrown in as well. I think a bike/tire combo winning that class would have "real world" desirability. I also think that the AMA needs to find a way to entice Buell/HD to compete in a "National" class. I have to believe the AMA knows that HALF of the motorcyclists in this country have ZERO interest in Road Racing. Hell they're already on two wheels, give em something to watch/cheer.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I can't help it.

Speed at least covered the races, but lets get a little more time to have say a 15minute pre-race and post race intro and wrap up. It would be great to get into the pits alittle more, show some qualifying scenes, interview afew people in front and behind the scenes, and a race recap showing the best pass, block, slide etc.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Street tires on a 1000 cc race bike? My bet is that you have not tried this on a track for 30 minutes of all out racing. Even with 20-30 lap race tires, these tires are being smoked like a hooker on dollar night.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Street tires on a 1000 cc race bike? My bet is that you have not tried this on a track for 30 minutes of all out racing. Even with 20-30 lap race tires, these tires are being smoked like a hooker on dollar night.

·
Registered
878 Posts
ya man, I couldn't tell if it was Bostrom or one of the backmarkers that he called a "f***ing ***hole" and I wanted to find out who. Probably Bostrom, the crash was mostly his fault I would say, since he was running into the back of some unsuspecting lappers.....That really sucks, I love both the Bostrom brothers and root for them to win every race, and I also like Duhamel, he's a funny guy, hate to see them get tangled up like that. They're both better than whiny baby Roberts and arrogant superiority complex Matt.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
1- You forgot Jamie Hacking and Rich Oliver. Congrats to them too.

2- One set of tires per weekend? Are you kidding? Street tires will last about 10-15 laps on a track, at most, with a decent club-level racer behind the bars. One set would just about cover practice.

3-Your stock class idea (aside from the tire thing) exists in numerous locations at the club level. It will never take off on the national level because fans don't like to watch that level of racing. If you don't believe me, look at the stunning success of the Yamaha Seca challenge and the Sportster 883 series. And no, adding 600s will not improve the formula. The problem is not the type of bikes being raced.

4-The AMA doesn't care if those half have no interest in roadracing, because they watch dirt track instead, which is still AMA, and is dominated by H-D.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Mladin oughta be in politics

he's got that whole lying with sincerity thing so covered. I so hope the Bostroms and the Kurtis Roberts's and the Hackings get on R1s and Honda 1000RR's and things next year, if any of those factories participate that is. Be fun to see what new excuses MM comes up with then.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
Just think how many wins ... and Yates is using the same bike!!!!

How man wins Mat Mladin would of had if he didn't have tire problems? Did Mladin snub you at a race sometime? He is a great racer but he may be personality challenged (my wife says I am an expert at that). :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Open your eyes

Just look at the results.

Just look at his record.

Have you thought that maybe the constant pursuit of excellence is reflected both in his comments and his achievements.

He doesnt need 'excuses' - he's won the championship (again) with record wins.....

Would you prefer he was less honest about his opinions?

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
What a great champion Mladin is, eh. Doesn't everyone whine about next year after winning a championship? This guy loves racing in Little League, wins, and then whines about the rules. I don't think I have ever seen a bigger effin baby in any sport in my life. No restrictive rules in GP Mat. Not one. Go there and win on your fantastic Suzuki. Oh, I forgot. They suck there, as you would, because racing with real champions would actually take skill. Instead, you race in a series that only Suzuki takes seriously, and act like you won the World Series, when the Toilet Bowl is all you really won. Grow up Mat.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Of course not. They do that on purpose because they know they can outspend any other team. Now this year they are trying to get the AMA to change the rules again because Suzuki is kicking their a$$.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Race Two Up on Touring Bikes!

If I have said it once, have said it a thousand times we NEED two up full dressed touring bike racing! Now THAT is real world. I suggest that this start at the BMW RA's National to be held at Barber's in just a few weeks. After all, we ALL know that BMW touring bikes are faster and handle better than Honda's or Harley's touring rigs! Wouldn't it be nice to be able to prove it.... (this is known as stirring up fecal matter)

I'll be there on my big K......

Anyhow, the crashes would be simply spectacular!

BigJames, the admittedly sick puppy....

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
4times a champ in a premier series is no fluke. When our you going to give him credit

You take the cake. He went to MotoGP. Go read about about it in AMA Soup. He was with an inferior team and very young. Mladin is a great champion. He is racing with real champions. Roberts, Yates, Bostroms, are all top notch and he beat them all. 4 times for christ sake. AMA is not the best leaque but it is a good league (Triple A). I am sure if a good offer came from a MotoGP team came he would jump on it. But MotoGP rides are hard to come by and his age works against him. Ducati gave Baylis (an older guy) a chance cause they did the right thing, Unlike Honda who threw Edwards away.

·
Banned
2,752 Posts
I admire him because he speaks up against mediocrity that the new rules will promote

His comments on the rules are right on. The rules should promote excellence and hard work. No create an level playing ground of mediocrity. Just like his criticism on tracks like Fontana, Pikes Peak are valid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Duhamel had a right to be pissed. After riding a conservative race, saving his tires, and positioning himself for a shot at the win, he was taken out by his bonehead "teammate" trying to stuff it inside of four other riders simultaneously!

Did Bostrum think that everyone was just going to get out of his way? Did he think at all! Methinks not. Every since he was handed a superbike title for showing up, he has actively demonstrated an inate talent linked to some pretty bad judgement and mediochre tactical skills. Perhaps he should go back to 600's and learn how to win races. Preferably without taking out his teammate.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.