Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Smart Charger that supposedly is rated to handle my motorcycle's 12-volt battery. I went to check the charge on it the other day (it has been pulled out for the winter) and I discovered the alligator type clamps are too big to get a hold of the battery terminals. It's too late to take the charger back and because it is a "Smart Charger" it can be used on my car as well so I don't want to cut off the clamps and put different ones on. So here's the problem, can I just loosen the bolts until I can grasp those with the clamps and charge the battery by clamping the bolts instead of the terminals? Or is it a lost cause?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Mark
2002 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
If it is a smart charger, they all come with pigtail attachemnts to allow easy plug-in without having to remove the seat, battery, or anything else. Take off terminal bolts, install pigtail, zip tie pigtail to an easily accessable area, plug in charger to pigtail whenever you need to easily.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Now hold it!

Here's my suggestion: get a set of clamps at the parts store that do fit the terminals. They usually have them in the electrical section. Pull off the plastic insulators. Clip them to the terminals, and clip the big clamps to them.
You just gave a reasonable and helpful suggestion. What did you do with the real Ken?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think I'll try that (getting clamps that fit and kind of daisy chaining them).

Just for clarification, the battery is out. The terminals are just too small.

The charger didn't come with attachments. I guess it isn't so "smart" after all.

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
I think I'll try that (getting clamps that fit and kind of daisy chaining them).

Just for clarification, the battery is out. The terminals are just too small.
Another thing you can do is wire an SAE connector to the battery terminals, and then rewire the battery charger so that it also uses an SAE connector instead of clamps. Then, when you need to charge the battery, you can just plug the charger right into the SAE connector on the bike. Battery Tender offers wiring for just that purpose in its kit, and it works a treat.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Get a couple of pieces of copper wire a few inches long. Tighten one end of each piece of wire onto each terminal. Connect the charger to the other ends. Any household wire will do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
If you want to make your life easier in the future, you can wire a pigtail with a connector of some kind (eg SAE) to the bike and keep the existing clamps by wiring a similar connector to the clamps.

This way, you can maintain the bike's battery without taking it out and still easily use the charger for anything else (and even be able to change the clamps to whatever's convenient).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.