Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a 2006 BUELL / Harley Davidson Blast bike. Two weeks ago while street riding in my neighborhood the rear suspension mount had all four bolts shear off at the base. (fortunately I wasn't hurt).
Has anyone out there had a similar experience?
I'll post photos this evening.....My dealer Cycle City Maui / Oahu has not been helpful at all. In fact, they do not want to repair the bike since they are concerned about the liability.
Buell / Harley Davidson corporate has distanced itself and their customer service department hasn't even bothered to return my request for assistance.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
I have been riding a Buell for three years now. I have been a member of Buell discussion board for about the same time. I have never heard of this happening as yet.

Did you own the bike since it was new? Were you or the previous owner abusing it in any way (stoppies, jumps off curbs, etc.)?

Unless they used the wrong type of metal bolts, which is possible but highly unlikely, I would have to be suspicious of the nature of this incident.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Well I had the kickstand bolt break at Bob's Big Boy one friday night on my City-X and it caused a lot of laughing and finger pointing as the bike toppled over and broke the left foot peg off clean.

Then the fuel infeciton went out of wack and ruined the motor. Other than that It was a nice bike...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have been riding a Buell for three years now. I have been a member of Buell discussion board for about the same time. I have never heard of this happening as yet.

Did you own the bike since it was new? Were you or the previous owner abusing it in any way (stoppies, jumps off curbs, etc.)?

Unless they used the wrong type of metal bolts, which is possible but highly unlikely, I would have to be suspicious of the nature of this incident.
I Bought the bike new at Cycle City / Maui Harley Davidson. I am a 56 year lifetime rider and use the bike to commute to the office. My "stunt" days are way done! Bike has been exclusively serviced by the dealer. here is the photo of the broken mount.

Attachments

·
The Toad
17,461 Posts
I've not seen that specifically, but I've seen suspension bolts sheer if the aren't torqued properly. Has suspension work been done on the bike?

Another problem that has occurred in the past is counterfeit high tensile bolts being dumped into the market. Back in the 80s some company was discovered to be plating grade II bolts and stamping them as grade VIII. That could have been the cause of some airliners dropping their engines ala Donnie Darko.

That's pretty unlikely though. I'd bet the bolts weren't tightened properly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts