Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
This ban was no doubt aided and abetted by a large group of Korean motorcyclists who willingly and openly called for mandatory helmet use, tiered licensing and mandated training for all riders, thereby emboldening the pusillanimous lawmakers to legislate away the entire sport of this weak and fractured constituency.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I particularly thought that the "motorcycles presented a danger to the cars" part was typical political hysteria mongering, worthy of one of our own politicians.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
I wonder how many of the niggling whiners on this site will be congratulating the Korean government for protecting the safety of their citizens with this bold move?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
On the other hand one could look at this a good reason for the AMA and all us to be in front on this issue. i.e. Get the kpaul plan on the books as law so we can get insurance rates down and deaths down so motorcycling can stay below the radar of the law makers.

kpaul plan

1. Mandatory full-face helmet Federal law.

2. Mandatory approved riding gear Federal Law

3. Mandatory training every 6 years Federal Law

4. Mandatory testing every 3 years

5. Mandatory motorcycle endorsement to register a bike.

6. AMA sponsored real road training classes.

7. Tiered licensed based on hp,torque, and weight combo..

Preserve the privilege to ride pass the 7 point kpaul plan..

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Re: Someone's got to say it

I was wondering how long it would be for one of the sheeple (who can't sell our rights out fast enough) to bring up that "driving is a privelege" bs.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Looks like you, Buz, longride and the rest of the GPTB are in the minority. Almost 60% of MO voters are for helmet laws and more than 60% are for tiered licensing.. Times are changing...

·
Registered
330 Posts
This way of thinking is pretty scary. Times are changing alright. More and more people would look at this and think it is perfectly reasonable - let's do it to ourselves before they can do it to us. If they are going to hang us anyway might as well stick our head in the noose ourselves. What a sad, weak point of view.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Somebody, get me a Rope........

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Gosh, Van, I'm just sooooo grateful that my benevolent govt allows me to ride on the roads I pay for. Oh how fortunate I am to be allowed to do this. I get down on my knees every day and thank the Lord that I have such a wonderful govt that allows me to do so many things.

All that is good and wonderful flows from the govt, don't you know.

Maybe if we are nice the Morlocks will let us survive another day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Approved riding gear? I hope thats a joke. Who would make the "approved" list. I sure don't want to be the Aerostich Police. Sounds like a sure way to end up paying more for the same item. I also like the tiered licensing based on HP,torque, weight etc. Sounds like a QB passer rating for motorcycles.

How about a compulsory re-education camp for all new motorcyclists, 15 days minimum, including a goverment mandated diet and exercise (to make riding safer). Federal Law.

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Some more common sense restrictions that we should follow.

An insurance official in Quebec, Canada, has suggested that the provincial government ban sportbikes over 400cc, according to a Canadian news agency.

http://www.amadirectlink.com/news/2006/Quebec.asp

This is common sense and we should move in this direction before others force us to do it. If we restrict ourselves to nothing over 400cc other will see this as a good gesture and will no longer hassle us.

Why do you need anything over 400cc? A 400 cc bike can go well over 100mph. Speed limits only go to 75. I think this is common sense.

If you need anything over 400cc you are obviously planning to break the law and you should be put in jail.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Some more common sense restrictions that we should follow.

You've got a point, but to be on the safe side perhaps the limit should be 250cc. No sense in provoking those who don't like motorcycles anymore than we have to.

Also, banning sportbike type fairings would seem to be a good idea. All they do is make people want to emulate their racer heroes.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.