Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have wanted to get my own bike for quite some time now. The problem is that I dont know a whole lot about different bikes. I am only 5'1 so I need a short bike and so far only know the Honda Shadow as a short bike. Also I would like a bike that is low maintenance. If anyone can give me some suggestions that would be great. THANKS

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Hi Casey. There are actually a few other bikes that you might fit on. First, check the Short Bikes list to see if there are any older or used bikes that you might be interested in. (The current crop of bikes tends to be taller than the old ones.) If you don't find anything worthwhile in the list, then you could consider a Yamaha Star 650, a Harley Davidson Sportster Low, and a Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (which is an excellent bike despite its engine size). Other models might also be suitable if you decide to buy new.

I would caution you that even if a bike is "short" enough for you, it may not fit you properly. You must be able to reach the handlebars and turn them. If you cannot easily move the bars from lock to lock without contorting your body, the bike is too long for you, and you will not be able to ride it safely or comfortably. Also, cruisers tend to be heavy. Small women tend to struggle with heavy bikes, which again will affect your ability to ride it safely. To be honest, most of the cruisers I've seen tend to be long and heavy, even if they have short seat heights. So be very careful about trying them on for size.

My recommendation is to check that list of short bikes very carefully to see if you can't find one that fits all the way around. I personally ride a CB-1, which is one of the smallest and shortest bikes on the list. There are plenty of other bikes there that could suit you. Good luck!

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Several bikes come to mind. The EX 250 is a great choice. Off the wall choice for an "in-town" rider- Sach's MadAss- There's a guy on ebay that sells these things for around $2000 new with the Lifan 124cc motor. They're a hoot. Conventional- Maxi scooters are great in any size. Bike wise- Suzuki GS500, The new Kawasaki Ninja 650, Ducati 620 to 695, Any under 800 cc cruiser. Reality is I'd pick some $2500 used bike like the Honda CB-1 or Honda Hawk GT ride it, drop it, pick it up and drop it again and in the end you won't feel bad for dropping your bike like you would if you dropped a $5000 Ducati 620.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Might one suggest..............

:eek: :-o :grin:

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Short People got no reason
To live

They got little hands
And little eyes
And they walk around
Tellin' great big lies
They got little noses
And tiny little teeth
They wear platform shoes
On their nasty little feet

Well, I don't want no Short People
Don't want no Short People
Round here

Short People are just the same
As you and I
(A Fool Such As I)
All men are brothers
Until the day they die
(It's A Wonderful World)

Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
Short People got nobody
To love

They got little baby legs
And they stand so low
You got to pick 'em up
Just to say hello
They got little cars
That go beep, beep, beep
They got little voices
Goin' peep, peep, peep
They got grubby little fingers
And dirty little minds
They're gonna get you every time
Well, I don't want no Short People
'Round here

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Airhawk . . . that wasn't nice. Go play with your dolls.
For the last time - THEY ARE NOT "DOLLS"!!!

They are 12" fully-articulated, poseable ACTION FIGURES with the patented "battle-grip" and lifelike-hair and weapons that shoots and EVERYTHING!

Not Dolls!

·
Registered
1 Posts
looking for a bike when you're 5"1"

I'm 5'1" and have a 27" inseam. I ride a 650 suzuki savage and am able to flat foot with no changes to the motorcycle. It only weighs about 350 lbs so its very nimble and has lots of power on the highway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
okay, that you are planning to bike as suits you the best with affordable and convenient. I know there are many places we can easily get one the main concern thing that are we getting the right one if yes then alright unless we regret to the choice made by us. So the best doesn't always have to be very costly and precious and the most expensive doesn't always turn out to be the best. This can be applied with the many things that we usually purchase these days.
Many times over, a lot of products have proved to be a fraud because they advertise a lot of wonderful things about the product more than it actually does or it actually is. So in order to get the best deal out of our hard-earned money, we better make sure that we make the right choices, buy for the right reasons and pay for the best items.
The same thing is true with motorcycles. Motorcycles can be insanely expensive or otherwise depending on the brand, model and components.

motorcycle center are up and about to give a long list of motorcycle and all are said to be in good condition. (Of course, who would say his product is not?)

However, good motorcycles need to have good motorcycle tires. The tires will lead towards safety and the other way around. Tires should fit the size of your bike. As a bit of information, there are bikes good for Asians and for Americans or Europeans, so know the size most fit for you and where you are. So don't just buy any tire. Learn to buy the ones that will go well with your lifestyle and purpose in trying to own one.

With regards to using your bike, how long do you have to use every day, and how fast should you go?
These things you will have to determine so you can find the one with the kind of engine that best fits your needs in life. Your engine should work well with the motorcycle exhausts because they are partners at work. The exhausts should help the engine in its work to generate power for the bike and act perfectly to emit the burnt gas out.
So when it comes to anything you want to buy, you don't really have to settle for less, actually.

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
okay, that you are planning to bike as suits you the best with affordable and convenient.
WOW. That was a lot of effort you expended......just to sneak in your 3 spam links. :mad:

If you run a legitimate business, how about being up front about it and posting a real ad in the proper sub-forum ???

If not, how about you stop wasting our time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Ride what feels best to you. The Suzukis, V-Stars, Shadow 750's are just a few that come to mind, that have a nice, low center of balance. If you are totally new to riding, perhaps something small? a 250 or an older 450? If you want a HD, perhaps an 883 or something similar? Sit on everything. Rock it back and forth. The V-Star 650 Custom is pretty light. The Suzuki too, but if you want to buy aftermarket stuff, the Suzuki may have some drawback on what is available. It all comes down to how YOU feel. At 4'10", my V-Star 650 Classic was just right, plus I lowered it. It was low enough stock, but I wanted a Florida Slam, so did it myself. Then, a nice stilletto seat completed the profile that I was looking for. What worked for me, might not be what you want. But that bike was perfect for me, because I didn't really outgrow her. She had plenty of power.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
New Triumph Bonnevilles are low, especially the Speedmaster model which is also massively cool, that would be my choice if I were a "Vertically Challenged American".......Um...(you are American right? not one of those pinko commie *** Europeans or Canadians????)

·
Registered
2 Posts
short people have short arms And Hands

I have a Triumph Speedmaster. I got pullbacks to bring the bars closer, and a custom seat so I didn't slide off the back.
Nobody thinks about the size of hands though: I never knew I was supposed to be able to have my fingers on the levers. Somebody told me just use your 3rd finger....then I pointed out my fingers are over an inch shorter than his. The tip of my finger barely touches the lever.
1" bars, which the Speedmaster have, are surprisingly bigger around (that 3.14 thing) than regular bars. Even less finger length left over for levers! I bent the levers back a little (forged, they didn't break) which helped a bit. The clutch is already adjusted as soft as it goes. Any thickness of glove makes control close to dangerous.
Try the controls while moving the handlebar when you try bikes.
I got a WRR and have had a horrible time getting it rideable for me.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
I have a Triumph Speedmaster. I got pullbacks to bring the bars closer, and a custom seat so I didn't slide off the back.
Nobody thinks about the size of hands though: I never knew I was supposed to be able to have my fingers on the levers.
Good point, you are indeed correct; that's something I never considered. With all the "adjustable" levers on bikes nowadays, one would think short-fingers could be compensated-for quite easily. However, even being a "average-size" person, I've noticed that typical "adjusters" are nigh-unto useless, and move the lever(s) toward the bar(s) barely a measurable amount.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Short people & Speedmaster

Thanks for noticing how cool the Speedmaster is; the America would have been more comfortable but I absolutely had to have the drag bars and gunslinger seat. A friend told me to get it and I could change out bits and make it more comfortable. That works great for Hondas and Harleys with a big market base. Less common bikes (but less common is always cooler!) can be really tough to find goodies for.

Seat and leg geometry varies a lot. 5'4" is exactly average height for a woman. Inseam is what counts though. A little 'robustness' around the thigh effectively shortens the leg too-- I shaved the corners and barely 1/2" off my WR seat and it made a noticeable difference in being able to reach the ground and move weight side to side.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
Even though this thread is quite old, it has had over 54,000 looks!

You'd think the manufacturers would notice, wouldn't you?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.