Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's easy. From Florida City down the Overseas Highway to Key West. Take the Card Sound Bridge road ($1 toll) instead of US1 for the first 20 miles. Be sure to stop at Alabama Jacks for conch fritters. Then head Southwest.

There's something special about riding for miles with nothing but water around you. My last trip we hit the 7 Mile Bridge around sunset. Way cool. BTW, every August Peterson HD sponsors the Key West Poker Run. It's three days, Friday through Sunday. They close off Duvall St. (Key West's equivalent of Burbon St.) at night and there's thousands of bikes to look at. It's coming up soon, make your reservations at the Key West House bed and breakfast. They have a closed yard in back to safely park your ride.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I live near Lake Lanier in North GA. I have two places that are connested to one road. Deals Gap is part of that and the most famous. But a route known to locals is called "The Loop". It runs GA HWY 9 to GA HWY 60 to US HWY 129 (below Blairsville, GA). It's just technical enough to watch guys wash out from inexperience, has a great view (mostly because the Chattahoochee National Forest in located in the heart of the area) and there are great little places to stop and eat or relax.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
I have 3 routes I can take from my house to starbucks and the half caf soy latte is to die for...

Seriously though, I really enjoy hwy 1 north of the golden gate. 89 running north of Truckee toward Lassen. I go fishing up hwy 49 off of 80 but have yet to take my bike for some reason.

I have a Tahoe, Yosemite, Morro Bay, Monterey, S.F. loop planned in July for some friends from back east. Can't wait.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Bestus California MOtorcycle Roads

I usta like Big Tujunga Canyon early on Sunday mornings before the squids showed up, then up to Newcomb's for breakfast, then over the top to the 395, back through Littlerock and down Soledad Canyon to the 14 for a short stint, then Osborne Canyon, to Foothill Blvd where at the corner of Foothill & Osborne I'd purchase a 40 of Mickey's Malt Likker, drink it under the freeway overpass & wobble home.

Gonna miss that...snif....

·
Registered
530 Posts
In Northern Cal it's hard to beat highway 299 > 3 > 36 > 101 between Redding and Eureka, or 299 straight from Redding to Blue Lake for twisties if your bike has good range. Or further south, highway 49 between Downieville and Jackson ain't bad either. There are so many great roads in NorCal, but they're pretty busy with cars, so it's luck of the draw.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Feckin' lefties. Lotta small stuff around here, but I'll be damned if I tell you guys about them. Too much pork already.

There's nothing here to see. Just move along......

·
Registered
125 Posts

Big Tujunga to Newcomb's is one of my favorites! I like the chicken quesadillas. The ex-girlfriend lives a little too close to the entrance in Sunland though so I've been avoiding it lately. I'm always afriad she's gonna mow me down.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Do you mean 19 to 60 to 180 to 129?

One of those great places is T.W.O. (Two Wheels Only). Not to be missed, if you're ever in that area. Grab a Big-Assed Burger(tm), then sit on the porch with the rest of the monkeys & benchrace motorbikes whilst watching some of the rarest and most-interesting bikes (and people!) on the road roll through...........

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in LA and here's one I ride 2 hours just to get to. Take the 10 east out to Banning. Get lost and find out for yourself - that's what I did. There's a loop out there from the 243 to the 74 that it heavenly. The 74 especially going up the mountains in Mountain Center is crazy good. Fresh asphalt with the roads slightly banked. Oh sweet Jimminy! I dream of being on that road. My nightmares involve the same road and RVs that won't pull over however.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Because to get to them, you need a cruiser. Otherwise, your tires will be gone by the time you arrive.

I went through 2 rears and a front by the time I got to California. I could have waited another 1200 miles to replace them, but then I would have been in Colorado, who knows how availablitly was, and then I'd have bought tires just to go straight through Nebraska and Iowa. May as well spend now and enjoy to fun, right?

If I were to make a cross country trip again, I do it on that Moto Guzzi California Vintage. That's a good looking bike if you ask me.

--The Fox

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts

Don't your wheelie have a cup holder?

40 oz. to freedom, my friend....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, there's always Ortega but so many LEOs. I ride about halfway up, then enter a private drive towards my sister's horse ranch. Climbs from 1000' to 2700' in about 2.7 miles. VERY technical, with blind switchbacks, and only 1.5 lanes wide. Paved, but stick to the rignt most 3', since the inevitable SUV will suddenly appear coming right at you! I know that I don't want to the new hood ornament!

KTM Duke is the weapon of choice, mostly 2nd and 3rd gear action...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.