Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone provide me some good recommendations on a GPS system for my motorbike?

My friends have Tomtoms for their cars, and I've never really tried anything else.

One big question I haven't found a satisfactory answer for, - how to you charge one of these things when you are out? (My Ducati does not have a cigarette lighter!)

I would think this would be a pretty good top for MO to do a big feature on. Comparing some different brands...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Starting a new discussion on this might be a huge waste of time. Go over to Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum and look for the Makin' tracks forum, which (if I recall) is all about GPSs and what they can do. You'll get more information than you can shake a stick at.

For what it's worth I have a Garmin Zumo and a Garmin 2610. I use both at the same time; the Zumo for maps and the 2610 for data. You charge them while they are on the bike by wiring them straight to the battery, just like any other electrical farkle. The wires go to the Garmin's cradle so you can remove the unit and use it elsewhere, of course.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Owa Tador Kiam

Starting a new discussion on this might be a huge waste of time. Go over to Adventure Rider Motorcycle Forum and look for the Makin' tracks forum, which (if I recall) is all about GPSs and what they can do. You'll get more information than you can shake a stick at.

For what it's worth I have a Garmin Zumo and a Garmin 2610. I use both at the same time; the Zumo for maps and the 2610 for data. You charge them while they are on the bike by wiring them straight to the battery, just like any other electrical farkle. The wires go to the Garmin's cradle so you can remove the unit and use it elsewhere, of course.
If you are riding a motorcycle with TWO GPS units attached, you sir are a D-O-R-K.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You're trying to scare off our one woman rider who posts.

Not to mention the fact that she sounds knowledgeable and intelligent and answers questions when asked.

Buz and Longride.. do you know f*ckall about GPS? Why don't you answer the question if you do?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re

You're trying to scare off our one woman rider who posts.

Not to mention the fact that she sounds knowledgeable and intelligent and answers questions when asked.

Buz and Longride.. do you know f*ckall about GPS? Why don't you answer the question if you do?
Such language from a Premium Founding Member! My car has navigation. I was just pointing out that riding around with two units strapped to your bars would be pretty damn dorky.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she rides a BMW.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Hey! I know about GPSes. I know that when you go backpacking and the guy who said, "Don't bother bringing any maps I have a GPS" drops his GPS and breaks it that you have to pull out the paper maps and compass after all.

And also that before dropping the GPS the guy with the GPS spends a lot of time playing with it and less time helping around the campsite.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Such language from a Premium Founding Member! My car has navigation. I was just pointing out that riding around with two units strapped to your bars would be pretty damn dorky.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say she rides a BMW.
After posting and seeing what I wrote in context I figured I was going to need to wear a fireman's suit. You have shown mighty restraint.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Gee, I thought the whole point of the exercise was getting lost.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you are riding a motorcycle with TWO GPS units attached, you sir are a D-O-R-K.
Nope, I'm an Iron Butt rider. Two GPSs are very common in that community. Try doing 1500 in 24 hours sometime - having the map on one and the data on the other is a great help, because you know exactly how you are doing at every point.

I ride a Honda 599 that has been quite tricked out for long distance riding. I have HID bulbs in the headlight and Hella FF50s up front, and a connection for electrical clothing as well. Not to mention Givis and RKA tank and tail bags.

As others have mentioned I'm not a sir, either.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
"Try doing 1500 in 24 hours sometime..."

If you give me one valid reason why anyone would want to do that, other than to say you did it. I don't see the point in it. Why not try 2000 miles in 24 hours, or maybe 2400 in 24 hours?

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Let's fix that.

Nope, I'm an Iron Butt rider. Two GPSs are very common in that community. Try doing 1500 in 24 hours sometime - having the map on one and the data on the other is a great help, because you know exactly how you are doing at every point.

I ride a Honda 599 that has been quite tricked out for long distance riding. I have HID bulbs in the headlight and Hella FF50s up front, and a connection for electrical clothing as well. Not to mention Givis and RKA tank and tail bags.

As others have mentioned I'm not a sir, either.
Let's call it nerd with obsessive compulsive disorder. Ma'am.:p

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Cycle World or Motorcyclist (I always confuse them) did a comparo this month. Long story short, they liked the Garmin unit over the Tom Tom. Easier to see and program, if I recall correctly. I have a plastic cover on my tank bag that holds a map. Works pretty good, is waterproof, and doesn't need charging. I program it with a highligher pen.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
"Try doing 1500 in 24 hours sometime..."

If you give me one valid reason why anyone would want to do that, other than to say you did it. I don't see the point in it. Why not try 2000 miles in 24 hours, or maybe 2400 in 24 hours?
It's fun. It's a challenge.

Doing 2k or more in 24 hours cannot be done at legal speeds. Doing 1500 in 24 can. Work it out, Shortride.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you had to choose between the Zumo and the 2610, which would you choose? Hmmm, I guess that's obvious, so how about this. Is the Zumo enough better than the 2610 that you would purchase it if you already had the 2610.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Yes, definitely. The user interface of the Zumo is much easier to use than the 2610. It's also designed specifically for use on a motorcycle, with the buttons on the left side (so you can hit them with your clutch hand).

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.