1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: R.I.P. Michelin

·
Registered
872 Posts
I can't see the article; I just get a small line of gibberish in my browser when I go to it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I purchased Pilot Powers for my Buell Cyclone after using the OEM dismal D205's and the mediocre D208's, and the excellent Pirelli Diablo and Diablo Corsas, [should have never changed from these...]. I found the Pilot Powers very harsh, so much so that I had to check the air pressure twice with digital gauges to make sure they were not overinflated. While I felt like it read every pebble on the road, so feedback would have to be rated at Excellent, it did not have the turn-in quickness of the D208's, or the overall smoothness of the Diablo's and Diablo Corsas. And I am not sure if it grips as much as the Diablo Corsas, and it does not breed as much confidence as the Diablo's for me. I wonder if any one else has had issues with the extremely choppy/uncomfortable ride that I am experiencing at 32 front/36 rear pressures? And the Cyclone is a 500lb bike, and I am 220lbs. plus, so they are definately not underloaded! I cannot comment on longevity as I have only used them for 1000 miles. The Dunlop D206's lasted 3000 miles, D205's and the Pirelli's 4000-4500.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Your tires are overinflated. Pilot Powers work best at considerably lower inflation pressure than Dunlops or Pirellis.

Unfortunately, they work best at pressures that invite bending rims on city streets if you have lightweight forged Al rims like mine. ;-)

·
Registered
13 Posts
...well, I have used Dunlop's in the past and they seem to be woefully inadequate for the task of moving a sportbike swiftly... I have a monster that is equipped with Dragons and all my other bikes are running on Pilot Power... in my opinion, the Pilot is far superior to the Dragons (but I guess that's personal preference) but I run them at 30/32 on the road and at 28/28 on the track... I feel you have a little to much pressure, if anything... my 2 cents

·
Registered
127 Posts
The quick turn-in of the Michelin Pilot series is awesome for the Monster. I loved those tires on my Monster when I had it. The whole bike felt lighter, quicker, smaller, nimbler.

I guess every bike is different. On my Triumph 600 I prefer a rounder profile and more stability like that found on Bridgestone's BT014.

Life is short. Sample different tires. Live a little. It's like suspension, or gearing. You'll never know the difference unless you try some different things. Have fun!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I find that interesting as I ride a Kawi ZX-6E and the Pilot Power's are pretty much god's gift to mankind on that bike. It's slow to turn in and change line mid turn (ie, for a decreasing radius turn or some such manouver), and the Pilot Powers are much lighter and more responsive than the 208's i used to run. I'd be curious to try out the Qualifier's, but I'm not exactly excited to step away from an excellent tire to one made by a company that made the absolute ***** that is a 208. I didn't run the GP's, so maybe that has something to do with it, but i was not impressed with the 208's in the slightest. They felt very planted when warmed up, but my bike is my only means of transportation, and the warm up time was excessive at best.

I also run my pilot's at a much lower PSI, 32/34 or so, 30/32 on the track.

The E is about 500 pounds, and I'm about 180, closer to 200 with all my gear, so i'm not entirely sure what's going on here. Maybe it's just a difference with the profile against the geometry of your Cyclone...i've heard that the buells have wonky geometry. I've found that the bike is incredibly sensative mid turn, and when i first got them I was much too hard on the bars. I needed to relax and trust the tires to hold the line through the turn because if i tried to force them or direct the line or hold on to the bars with any real force they would respond strongly to even the lightest steering input.

Now that i'm used to them (i've run through 2 sets), I can't imagine going back to a tire that forces me to muscle it into the turns the way the 208's did.

(How's that for a first post)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Does the Cyclone have adj front forks??

I have found my XB to be extraordinarily sensitive to compression adj... like 1/8 to 1/4 turn from squishy to ouch.

rob

·
Registered
489 Posts
The "mitch-a-lin" I was hearing was coming directly out of the mouths of all the Michelin peeps, as well as from a number of videos played for us. At least one of the Michelin persons in attendance was a Frenchie.

Vaille que vaille--Pete

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.