Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to sell my 2006 Honda Shadow Aero as I cannot afford it anymore. :eek: I am going through some family emergencies. I live in Long Beach, CA and owe about $5400 on it. I am wondering what is the best way to sell it - easily and to get the most money? I am very new at this - any recommendations?:-D

Thanks for your help!!!

Danielle Marie

·
Snuggles
4,369 Posts
Posting on Craigslist.org is free.

Posting here is free.

Cycletrader print/online is fee based, but is very useful.

Ebay is fee based. Also there is a lot more scams and BS you will have to deal with.

Local newspapers are good and they usually also offer online postings.

Throw a "For Sale" sign on it and put out on your front yard.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I've had exceptional luck with Craigslist. Stuff that was in the Recycler and Photo Buys for weeks got sold the FIRST DAY in Craigslist. Since you live in SoCal, put the add in the SF Valley, LA proper & the OC. You should have no problem selling it, or have someone take over payments, etc.

Then you can get an old beater KZ750 or something like it for around $500.00 and ride the snot out of it. Think about it...

·
Registered
86 Posts
C'List

I'll parrot the preceding recommendations for Craigslist.. I had an old dirt bike to sell- nothing special. I took a few pictures, posted on Craigslist.. waited about 30 minutes and I had over 20 offers in my mailbox. Guy I sold it to bought it sight unseen- dropped the money in my paypal account. Couldn;t have been smoother.

If the price is right- it will sell quickly on C'list.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
I'll parrot the preceding recommendations for Craigslist.. I had an old dirt bike to sell- nothing special. I took a few pictures, posted on Craigslist.. waited about 30 minutes and I had over 20 offers in my mailbox. Guy I sold it to bought it sight unseen- dropped the money in my paypal account. Couldn;t have been smoother.

If the price is right- it will sell quickly on C'list.
I test rode a Hypermotard today and talked to the guy at the shop about selling my Duc. I haven't had any luck on San Diego Craigslist. He said to put it on OC, LA or San Francisco instead. Apparently we San Diegans aren't serious enough riders to even consider buying something used.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
A local TV station in Salt Lake, KSL, has a website where you can run free internet ads. This site is literally ruining the local newspaper classified ads. You might check out and see if any stations in the LA area are also offering free internet ads. I sold my 91 GSX1100G with 75K on it in less than 48 hrs of posting the ad in April.

Whatever you do, do it now because in a month or so the used bike prices are going to take a hit with the coming Fall. That's true in SoCal even though the weather never really gets cold.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
Daniellemarie - what a lovely name! Just a heads up, be prepared for the endless stream of scam emails you'll get. They invariably start with "what is the condition of your..." Mr. Cuddy, how about posting those links to your articles on your bike sales episodes for the lady? She can get the scoop and a grin.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Even though I have nothing to add I'll jump in anyway because your name is close to my youngest daughters and like my daughter you're probably a nice young lady ..........

At any rate, I've also had good luck on Craigslist and Cycle Trader. I wouldn't waste much time on e-bay or local newspapers. Good luck, don't take any crap off anyone, cash only, no test rides, money talks and BS walks.....

yer' welcome....

·
Registered
540 Posts
Unlike lot's of folks here, I've sold about 1/2 dozen bikes on ebay no problem. I'll certainly agree with MSCuddy and others that you'll probably have folks try to scam you, but the easiest way to avoid that is to refuse to sell to anyone overseas, and be suspicious of anything that's too good to be true. Anyone trying to scam you on ebay is going to do it through email at least, so you get to stay arms length from the freaks.
Craigslist is good and reaches a lot of people (I've sold a few bikes/cars through there as well), but like MSCuddy's web site article, you'll get some freaks coming by. People who make appts. and don't show up, people who make appts. and then offer you 30% of the value of the bike, etc. So you'll probably sell the bike, but you'll have to deal with a lot of interesting characters. For some reason in my experience Craig's list brings more freaks out than the paper or anywhere else, but reaches a lot more people too.
Don't be afraid of either, but use your head and be suspicious. The fact that you don't have your title (I assume) is good as any transaction would likely be done with your bank involved.
Good luck!

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
I put the Jawa Trail 90 on Ebay for $500.00, and on Tuesday some guy drove all the way from Chicago to pick the damn thing up (after pay paling the $$$).

Good advise from bbtowns & sarnali about dealing with interesting folks. DO NOT LET THEM RIDE THE BIKE! Some guy who weighed 400 lbs, wanted to ride my DT1 when I sold it on Craigslist, told him to hit the road. Be selective, the ball's in your court.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Oh, an' a 'nother thing.......

If someone wants to see the bike, meet them at a Starbucks or somewhere puplic, not at your place. They can look at the bike all they want there. If they're serious ie money in hand then you can do the deal there, or meet them at the end of your street or somewhere like that.

It sounds paranoid but I personally know of people that'll look at a vehicle be it bike, car or boat then come back and steal it when you're out. When it comes to dealing with strangers and money you really need your spidy senses up and running, most people are decent and honest, some are not.

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
And, in the "I'm not paranoid, I just KNOW that everyone is out to get me" vein...

Since one assumes you are female by your username, make sure you have the biggest, ugliest friend you know with you when you meet the prospective buyer.

This advice goes for anyone, male or female, unless you are armed and a gun control advocate.

·
Registered
7,117 Posts
I'll need your data for the check, viz;

"Mr. Cuddy, how about posting those links to your articles on your bike sales episodes for the lady? She can get the scoop and a grin."

Here they be Mr. Moore.

"Thanks for the info you gave me. its really my chioce. Its what i have been searching for for the last 6 months. Thanks for everything."

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.