Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Re: Better Life Through Motorcycling

Gabe, thanks for the great read.

I ordered a pair of Lee's gloves about 18 months ago. I asked him to go ahead and send his book, Total Control, also. He told me he would even sign it. Due to the fact I had no idea who the guy was, his autograph was not on the "got-to-have" list.

After reading Total Control and your article I would insist he sign it today.

BTW, the gloves are fantastic.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hey this guy is almost living out my lotto fanatasy: Buy some land in the middle of no where construct a track and shoot guns off my back porch. Instead I commute 2 hours a day to work another 8 most time 10. I love reading about characters like this.

Great read Gabe. It's gonna make me late for work cause I had to read everthing. Gonna check out that book latter. Thanks MO!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Great feature. Too bad Lee's place is about 3000 miles from here. But I've done the next best thing and bought the book. Can't see where learning to hang off a bike is much use except for emergency situations like when over cooking it into a turn. But then emergeny situations are what I would hope his course covers, like maximum braking, crash avoidance, getting witnesses phone numbers...

Since most accidents ocuur when a car turns left in front of a bike, stratagies for dealing with it would be useful. Never could get used to looking thru a corner except when it's blind. MSF course instructors say use you peripherall vision but it's not made for seeing fine detail. Tried it last week and almost lost the front tire on some slippery stuff. Maybe Lee will franchise his course.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Lee is a great guy; I met him on the wire when he was at MCN, then met him in person in Baltimore where we ogled women, drank dark beer and ate too much. Come to think of it, he owes me a dinner!

Gabe, you've done well capturing his personality. He never stops moving.

There is a big push now in FL to ramp up the Motorcycle Training: Maybe we can get a school franchise here in Baja Bama!

·
Registered
10,901 Posts
Can you please get me the name of the basketball player that can dunk from half-court because I'd like to see him on the Lakers this season?

I've got some of those gloves and they are super comfortable-easily my favorite glove.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Great article Gabe. But it's "trap", not "skeet".

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great article! Total Control is by far the best book on motorcycling skills I have read. Too bad I lent it to someone...

I would gladly pay $295 for an ARC course! Bring it to Texas Lee!

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
The Lakers are going to need a lot more than a guy that can dunk from half court this year. They used to compare Kobe to MJ in the past, but over the last two years I don't hear that anymore. He got exposed when The Diesel left town. Go White Sox!

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
I think hanging off can be useful on the street. It doesn't mean you have to drag a knee; and you don't have to be so obvious about it. All you really have to do is drop the inside half of your butt off the seat.

If if allows you to use less lean angle, why not? I do it quite often, especially in the wet.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I guess I was thinking about hanging off as shown in the animated pick of two riders: god like/un-god like. I assume the rider almost entirely off the bike was supposed to be god like, but I think it would be really stupid to take every corner like that. Shifting the weight to the inside a bit seems to work well and as you say, not be too obvious about it. In fact, I put a larger rear tire than stock on one bike I had, and over 40mph on tight turns, shifting my weight to the inside was the only way I could get it to turn. I remember doohan shifting his body to the outside to pick the bike up, but that has to be extreme.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Better Life Through Motorcycling

Yes, and I ride almost every day (I'll bring the car when I need to run errands or when I'm wearing nice clothes).

Also, I do this in LA. Further, I almost have to use the worst intersection between the worst two highways in LA (though my timing is opposite the really bad traffic and I only occasionally have to weave through a serious jam).

Up the 405 from Santa Monica to the 101, get off at Van Nuys, and take Ventura Blvd. across into Burbank. Head back the other way on the way home. The 101 is usually insane and I get off as quickly as possible. I wouldn't even take it except that the Ventura exit is out of business for the forseeable future.

Ross

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Bulls aren't where they were, but at least they are moving in the right direction. Doormat of the East no longer! If the Sox play this series like the last, your rooting will only go 4 games before we move on to the series. Should be fun.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.