Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Big Block Boss Hoss sitting in a bar parking lot a couple of years back and it really is as big and impressive as you say it is. I pulled in and talked with the guy. This guy had open pipes and I must say I don't know how in the hell he got away with the sound. He said he just loves to pull up next to guys on a Harley who think they have a loud bike and rev that sucker a couple of times. Said he never had anyone challenge him.

Well it I just had to hear it and holy crap, it was loud and way impressive. Just don't think I could stand all that torque trying to pitch me off sideways..

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Just a quick comment on some of the nomenclature you guys are tossing about in the article:

The Boss Hoss uses a 350cid Chevy Small Block, or 502cid Chevy Big Block. The term Long Block and Short Block refers to replacement engines, and what you might expect to find in the crate when you purchase one.

A Short Block is (regardless of engine make) is usually the engine block, crankshaft, pistons, cam (sometimes) and occasionally the sump - all assembled and ready to be used as a solid basis for your new engine.

A Long Block is the above, with the addition of a cam (if left off the shortblock), cylinder heads, tappets and valvetrain - basically a complete engine minus induction (intake, carb, whatever), distributor, and rocker-covers.

Other than that, quite the interesting article.

Thanks for the Diversion!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Cool. Articles like this almost make me forget all those scooter tests. (I'm kidding.) Too bad you couldn't ride the big-block bike. I would like to hear about what that's like. Some video would have been good with this, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Add an Electra Glide style fairing, and you'll have a bike that is completely devoid of anything I like about motorcycling. 1100 pounds ... the damn thing is nearly ten times my weight!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey! you guys didn't do Palomar mountain on those bikes. Why didn't you!

Been riding 54yrs.

Rode Indian Chief/30.50 Scout/H-D JD/WL/WR in the day. Seen 'em all come and go.

Seen a few of them V8's in the flatlands,too big for most humans to handle.

The Boss Hawg is just too much unsafe pork for me.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Yes all mustangs with the 289 V-8 are chick cars like Miatas, MR-2s, VW Beetles, VW Cabriolets, Buz

s BMW, etc...

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Excellent Review. This is the first review on Boss Hoss I have ever read...I can't believe how it would be to ride.. Too much bike for me and cost's way too much..But I admire the technical skill involved in making it work.. I sat on a Triumph Rocket and I thought that was grotesque. I guess I am one of those who believe size isn't everything. But hey if you have passion for the Boss Hoss, if you can handle it and afford it, more power to you. Thanks MO for the fun read

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: A Gasser on Two Wheels

The Boss Hoss reminds me of a '55 Chevy with a 427 and a 6-71 blower sticking out of the hood, a tube axle front end, and cut-out rear wheelwells with drag slicks. It's great for doing burnouts and putt-putting into the drive-in, but not much else.

I got behind one of these (while riding my 800-lb touring cruiser) on Highway 94. At every short straight, he'd rocket ahead. Then as each curve approached, he slowed to a crawl and tiptoed through. This went on for nine miles, with me screaming "Get the ***** outta the way!" to no avail (there was a double yellow line and little or no shoulder for the whole way).

Finally we rolled into a small town and he pulled into the parking lot of a biker bar, where the bike was finally in its functional element -- parked, with its engine rumbling and bystanders oohing and aahing.

This is a novelty item, not a motorcycle. The fact that it's able to navigate a straight line and handle as well as a late-forties pickup truck does not impress me.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Re: A Gasser on Two Wheels

WARNING! The following statement contains IRONY - may be too subtle for inattentive readers...... viewer discretion is surmised

Ah, but he stayed ahead of YOUR bike, didn't he? Ergo, he "Won" the "Race". Further proof that these bikes have no equal on the road.......

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well done. There were more "laugh out loud and recieve strange looks from my wife" passages in this review than any other I can remember...

Just remember... There's no kill like overkill, more is better, and too much is never enough.

Especially when the Damn thing works like it's intended to!

Rock the F**K ON!

Rob

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.