Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Could somebody answer a engineering question for me please without denigrating my education and breeding for having the temerity to ask?

Why do crusiers have to keep growing in engine size to become more powerful while sportsbike engines continue to develop more power within a more constrained size framework?

·
Registered
61 Posts
from my know-nothing standpoint, i would say it's merely a reflection of the current american craving more greater engine size in our motorcycles, having nothing to do with thoughtful engine design

·
Registered
4 Posts
It couldn't possibly be that people enthralled by this current trend in motorcycles are trying to make-up for other, umm....

Shortcomings.

My question is, why would you want a performance "cruiser" when you can have a sportbike that weighs half as much and handles twice as good? It's like wanting an apple, but you want it to taste like an orange.

·
Registered
489 Posts
There's no replacement for displacement!

That old adage is true, in cruiserland, or if it's torque you seek -- while torque gains have obviously been made in modern sportbikes, if you want _a lot_ more torque at very lower and lower (relative) rpms, that's really hard to do on pump gas without increasing displacement.

Conversely, if you want to make a lot more horsepower out of a given displacement, spin it higher -- that is, the same torque at a higher rpm equals more horsepower. This was the original impetus for Ducati's Desmo system -- basically a cam follower to open (like a regular engine) _and_ close the valve. Thus, no springs to break at high rpm, which used to be a big limiting factor. As metalurgy has advanced, this is less of a problem -- both because valves are lighter and the springs are better.

Modern F1 cars use pnuematic "springs" -- compressed air -- to close the valve. Tre cool.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
14 Posts
aahhh the good ol USofA infatuation with bigger=better. Lets all go buy more SilleeUghleeVeehicles, too.

Actually the bike appears pretty fresh looking in the pics, Suzuki obviously let their designers get creative as opposed to another second rate psuedo-hardlee clone. The headlight is..uh, "different" but sure goes with the integrated styling theme of the bike.

As an Industrial Designer, from the pics I find the bike rather appealing....visually. Would I trade my beloved 1200R for it...nope. Conversly my recently ordered FJR 1300A will easily out everything this Suzuki dynamically...but lotsa people do like this type of bike. Must give Suzook credit for at least creating a well integrated, distinctive looking package. DFO

·
Registered
152 Posts
I wish to make a complaint...

I have really enjoyed both Suzukis I have owned so far. The 2001 Bandit 600 was a fantastic beginning bike for me, and I really enjoy taking the GSX-R600 to the track. Both of these bikes have filled their design goals, as far as I'm concerned. But, having only a bike for transportation causes me to occassionally want something other than a 600 supersport, at least for getting around town. And the '06 will be even smaller!

Now for my complaint: Why the freak do we get another massive cruiser here in the USA while in Europe Suzuki is selling the bike I would buy in a heartbeat? Seriously, if Suzuki brought the GSR600 over here I would sell the GSXR today. It looks to me like the GSR is what the Bandit was back in 1995: a comfy, fast, comfy, practical, comfy, great all-rounder, comfy, fun, comfy bike. Here's a sortof link, since I can't remember how to do it correctly...

http://www.suzuki-gb.co.uk/model.asp?id=108

Of course, Yossef will probably get to ride one (lucky guy), and if he says it handles anything at all like a good bike, I guess I'll have to look into actually getting one imported, or something.

Daggum Suzuki...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually think the M109R looks decent. It's looks don't bore me quite as much as every other cruiser does. I just wish one manufacturer would produce something that breaks the mold of conventional cruiser design and looks. Like Honda's VTX1800 Techno cruiser concept.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Looks like they borrowed few styling ques from the Honda Rune. Only the zook is not as overly done. Although I'm not a cruiser fan, I must admit I like the tecno cruiser look

·
Registered
179 Posts
If you're into cruisers its something new.

I just don't get the rationale with the big back tire.

You have sport windscreen, sport forks, big engine, good frame... and a back tire that upsets the whole handling thing? I know that looks are king in this segment but geez. maybe a 180, so you can make a turn without the bike feeling vague.

am I making sense?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Hey, cool. A Suzuki that copies a V-Rod, Rounds out the line quite well, eh? all they need now is to bring over the GSX1400 inline four since they dropped the Bandit and they'll be set.

This should compete pretty well with the Warrior and V-Rod in the VTwin power cruiser line up

·
Registered
238 Posts
Cool! The japanese are beating HD at it's own game..

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: Why Cruisers Have BIG Engines

Cruiser-style bikes are similar to blues music; they are locked into certain criteria. If a song doesn't have 12 bars, it's not a blues song. It may have a blues FEEL to it, but it ain't the real thing. When Bob Dylan debuted his electric sound, it was folk-rock, but with amplification, it no longer qualified as folk.

A cruiser is inextricably linked to a slow-turning, narrow-angle, preferably single-crankpin V-twin with its sycopated, loping cadence. A bike with any other engine is cruiser-esque, but not the real deal.

You can put ape-hangers and a stepped seat on a Ninja and call it the King of Cruisers, but it ain't a cruiser.

The above-described engine has character and charm and soul in spades, but it is the trailing edge of engineering if you want to make power. So the only way to get more power and keep it tractable is to make it bigger.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Yeah, I kinda noticed that too. Wasn't going to say anything though...

How's that Dyna doing? Break it in yet?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
And what game might that be?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Pretty much, I don't really buy the gentle break in stuff, the way they were talking when I took delivery you'd think it was made of glass. I just scuff in the tires and ride it. Have you been flogging your Beuwl? Looks like a pretty fun bike.

The pipes, rear fender, radiator shroud and instrument binnacal look like dead ringers from the picture. Check out Suzuki UK's website, that's the kind of stuff Suzuki should be bringing over here

1 - 20 of 42 Posts