Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me again...94 honda nighthawk 250...well now I am having bad trouble trying to get the bike into neutral...I have dropped the bike a few times and have bent the gearshift lever...I think I may have broken one of the gears...:-( not cool. Would you recommend buying the manual and trying to fix it myself or taking it to a shop? I dont have much money to spare that is the only thing stopping me from the shop right now.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
A shop will cost an arm and a leg and easily charge more than the cost of a new bike when they are done.... if they will even do the work at all. A manual and your own two hands are probably your only hope. But if there are major broken parts in the tranny that can run into the hundreds of $ as well. Find what's broken and check the cost of everything you need to put it back together. It may very well be beyond hope. If possible find one in a junkyard that was crashed so that the motor itself is still sound. You can rob the engine parts you need.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
Is it not shifting because the gear shift lever is bent and hitting something, or does the lever move freely but the bike won't shift? If it's the former then removing and heating the lever to cherry red then bending it back into shape will do it. If it's the latter you may want to start looking for another bike or at least another motor. Transmissions are no fun at all to work on and not cheap either. You could probably find another bike for what repairs would cost you.

·
Super Duper Mod Man
10,479 Posts
Is it not shifting because the gear shift lever is bent and hitting something, or does the lever move freely but the bike won't shift? If it's the former then removing and heating the lever to cherry red then bending it back into shape will do it. If it's the latter you may want to start looking for another bike or at least another motor. Transmissions are no fun at all to work on and not cheap either. You could probably find another bike for what repairs would cost you.
Good advice. He probably bent or broke a shifting fork. Not a big deal on a Harley, but the unfortunate reality of most unit constructed engines is that the whole motor must come apart and the cases split to repair even a simple trans problem. He could probably fix it with a new 20 buck shifting fork, but the time and extra parts to disassemble and reassemble the whole engine isn't worth it. Toss the bike and get a new one.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Wait A Second! Stop The Presses!

What I think happened, too much gas was flowing out the overflow hose on the carb, and it made the bike slip around on some wet cement, and pranged the shift lever when you ate it.

Take the side case off (the shifter side, duh), it's held on with a bunch of little phillips head screws, drain the oil out before you take it off.

See the shift shaft, with that funny little flat piece of metal that goes behind the clutch assembly? It has a spring loaded hook on the end of it, that operates the shift drum, that in turn changes your gears. Check to see that the cut-out in the metal, shaped like a "C" is resting properly against the shift drum, and also check to see if the spring-loaded hook is still intact. It might be bent, or just not seated in the shift-drum head.

You really should have known.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.