Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
6'-5", 230 lbs, eh? Mostly, it's great to be tall, but there's no added value in being a big guy when you're looking for a bike that fits.

Here's my votes.

-Yamaha FZ1. Great all around bike, goes like stink, handles very well for real-world use. Heck, it handles pretty well at the track; BIKE magazine ran it around Bruntingthorpe (there's a Brit name for ya) track as fast as the sport 600's. Relatively tall seat, and seat-to-peg dimensions. Good two-up. Given its versatility and performance, it's an INCREDIBLE bargain. You can buy a brand new one here in Seattle for $7900.

-Honda CB1. They haven't made it for ten years, but this was a good bike for a tall guy. It's a naked, though, and I think the FZ1 is more versatile because it comes with a half-fairing.

-BMW R1200GS. Ok, ok, I know it's not a sport bike. But it is a terrific tool; good handling, rediculously durable, great dealer support, and best of all a nice tall seat, generous seat-to-peg, and a screen. It has very cool expandable hard luggage (I checked this out a couple of weeks ago and man, it's the dog's. The luggage lids telescope in and out). It is kind of a grown-up bike (only you know how that makes you feel). Good choice if you have excess cash and need something useful to spend it on, because a 1200GS is going to go 15 large.

An earlier poster suggested the ZRX1200. I think that its ergos are too small for you. They fit me pretty nice, and I'm Loris Capirossa sized; you're gonna hate it.

Whatever you buy, you should have the suspension retuned (it's no big deal) for your weight. Stiffer fork springs, maybe revalve the rear shock. Any good shop can do this for you.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Great personality, nice family....

"The 650 V-Strom is the best middleweight I have ever ridden" --sportbike_pilot

I believe you. But....

The V-Strom is homlier than a mud box. I want to be able to walk away from my bike after a good thrash (or even an uneventful ride to work), and then look back at it with a bit of moto lust.

In essence, the owner of a V-Strom has to be content with a good personality. For me, I don't want to just be friends, I gotta have the full on "From Here to Eternity" roll on the beach.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Re: Great personality, nice family....

"That's great, for you, but this fella came from a Goldwing -- I can't imagine that anything else is going to appear anything other than beautiful." --sportbike_pilot

OK, made me laugh. Good point.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Aha! New Criterion.

I guess two-up ability is less of an issue, then.

SOOO...maybe the Tuono is the best call after all, as long as you don't go out during the day because then you'd have to look at the thing. The Tuono looks the result of dragging a big magnet through the parts bin. Supposed to go some, though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.