Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Suzuki V-Strom 650. Check out MO's recent middleweight comparo. You will not like the big CBR for 99% of what you want to do (see our open class shootout for info on the CBR1K. If you must have a literbike I highly recommend, after having ridden all of them, the Triumph 955i. You will smile for a long time.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: *READING*

6' 3" and 205 lbs. And I have ridden most of the bikes mentioned in various posts here (a cbr1100xx extensively) and I'm sticking with my earlier recommendation. The 650 V-Strom is the best middleweight I have ever ridden and I feel very confident that I could have a blast on it for the occasional track day. I know that one can have a lot of fun dispatching hard-core sportbikes on one of these because we spent a day doing just that on the LA crest during our middleweight comparo. This is the closest thing to a TDM that you can get in the US these days and the TDM850 is reknown as one of the most versatile bikes ever (and it fit large people well).

The Blackbird is a wonderful in most ways but is well-known for a low seat and high pegs resulting in a cramped leg position for tall people. If you modify the rearsets to address this the pegs will drag everywhere. I loved my bird but spent many hours on the road with my feet dragging the ground instead of on the pegs. Even my 954RR is better in that regard.

The 919 is also very cool but much too cramped for a guy 6'5" The current VFR needs another development cycle and it's kinda cramped to boot (although it's easy to address this on the VFR)

The other big GT's mentioned here will all work OK ergonomically but generally handle like aircraft carriers. So if you want a big bore that brings me to the finest literbike I have ever ridden-- if you can live with performance that is a few hairs below the front runners -- the Triumph Daytona 955i. I wish I had one of these myself.

I also second Seruzawa's suggestion of a Speed Triple which would also work very well for this individual.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Re: Great personality, nice family....

That's great, for you, but this fella came from a Goldwing -- I can't imagine that anything else is going to appear anything other than beautiful.

The V-Strom looks much better from the rear which is the view that most people will have of it anyway when ridden by a competent rider. We didn't even bother to take off the dual-sport tires (already fragged by Sean during the intro) and it was still one of the funnest bikes to ride in the twisties. That's all the rush I need.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.