Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
One sad truth about pro motorcyle racers, is that in general, they are not large men. On one end you've got the Capriossi or Jimmy Felice size (120 lbs in helmet & wet leathers),

at the other end you've Reuben Xaus, maybe 5'11", and 160 lbs.

The problem is this: the manufacturers build all these repli-racers in dimensions, that fit pro-racers.

With this in mind, I would probably look first at the bikes that fit me best. That would probably rule out most of the current crop of 600 sportbikes. It may even mean looking at some of the sport touring bikes like Aprilia's Futura.

The Ducati 999 has adjustable seat and peg locations.

I'm 5'11" and 185, with a 33 inch inseam, I don't bend like I did 30 years ago (age 24), and I don't like the fit of this current crop of mini-sized super bikes.

I would even look at bikes like the Guzzi V11's or BMW R1100s, just to be comfortable even though I know there will be a performance penalty. Maybe a Suzuki 'Busa?

·
Registered
74 Posts
racer size

I think if you made a composite of all top racers you would probably get something like this: 5' 6", 140 ~ 150 lbs., and muscle tone and conditioning signifigantly better than 30 years ago. (kinda your jockey, gymnast, rodeo rider size- sinewy,tough,light).

Back in the 50's when the motocross guys rode Goldstars, AJS, & Matchless & other big singles, they were a lot bigger. In my lifetime the dirttrack and roadracers have always been small.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.