Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Re: Bigger Ain’t Necessarily Better

Apilia won the FIM supermoto championship first time out with this motor proving that a good multi will beat a good single any day-as if that needed to be proved. I haven't seen the article but I believe they are working on a 550cc version which would compete with the Japs and probably cost 10k making it a niche bike at best. The supermoto version seems to have the best future here. I certainly would give serious consideration to buying one in either sport or supermoto configuration.

·
Registered
107 Posts

Ahh I see the rebirth of the true Ujm remember the Honda Ascot FT. I love these type of bikes long on suspension easy on the butt. Next we will be wearing bell bottoms and riding 50cc scoots around singing "Isn't it lovely".

·
Registered
29 Posts

I'm all in favor of returning to smaller displacement "real" motorcycles. Look at what is available right now in terms of less than 600cc bikes. Rebel? Only the Ninja 250s, 500s, and the GS500 seem to be real bikes, just smaller displacement.

I recently got a 250 Ninja, rejetted it, and lost 15 lbs by swapping out the pipes. It is so much fun to ride such a light bike. Now if I could only get a 350 or 400 in the same package. Remember the FZR400 and Honda's CB-1 (I think that was the model, it was a naked 400cc in line 4)? Bring 'em back!

·
Registered
955 Posts
$10K Niche Bike.

Yeah, if it's Aprila or Italian, it's gonna be pricy! But with a Tuono not being too outrageous, I'm sorta hoping the SXV sport-bike comes in around $9K. Okay, that's a fool's hope but I can dream. If nothing else, it might set a precedent that the Big-4 might follow. Suzuki did it with the V-Stom in the adventure-tourer segment, and the price was thousands lower. I got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The UJM's will be commiting economic sepuku if they don't bring back smaller bikes. Triumphs biggest seller is the Bonneville, a very managable 65 horse power, low seat standard bike that's innexpensive as opposed to cheap and a blast to ride. Harley's 883 Sporty is an easy bike to ride, BMW has the 650, Ducati has the 620. The common thread in all those bikes is that they're not intimidating yet still cool looking and fun to ride.

By putting all their eggs in either full-on 600 supersports or retro V twins the Japanese are slowly moving away from the new riders needed to keep the sport going. Remember "From Mighty to Mini Honda has it all"? Now Suzuki and Kawasaki have the entry market covered.

Edward, check my spelling please, there's a good boy...

·
Registered
281 Posts

Yeah, scary if the frames take to breaking like dry twigs under cornering stress. I seem to recall Sport Rider commenting that they have discovered that the latest gereration of lighter sport bikes were more susceptical to crash damage. They didn't elaborate and I assumed they were talking about misalignment problems. Or was it something more sinister...

·
Registered
955 Posts
And don't all of us just-need something like that.

That's the last thing l'd like to see. My idea of a perfect spor-bike would be a 350lb SV-650, with very little bodywork, a fully adjustable suspension and a humane riding-position. In other words, something I could use, ride, have fun on , and still survive the experence.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Anyone know how sales of the new DRZ400SM are going? I saw one at a track day a couple weeks ago and was impressed with how well it performed. If it sells well will others be far behind?

·
Registered
540 Posts

I can't help but think that this bike is going to play well in Europe, but much less so in the United States where huge displacement, push rods, and air cooling are the desired motor configuration; at least in the eyes of the manufacturers. Let's hope this is an exception!

·
Registered
103 Posts

Well, My 1988 NT650 Hawk with 1mm over bore, exhaust porting, intake matching, proper jetting and an old Kevin Erion era Kerker megaphone pipe makes about 72hp, and the bike weighs in at 355lbs in street trim. Do I really NEED to tell you what I do with that bike?

·
Registered
281 Posts

"innexpensive"? However I am in 100% agreement with your remarks. The European range of Nip bikes is much greater than here. Probably because the Melican buyer is so peer driven. Godda have a big v cruiser. Or a liter bike. The nearest Honda dealer doesn't have a single new sport bike on in the showroom floor. Just a few old ones gathering dust. Probably took them in trade on a real bike.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Scuderia West already has deposits down...

At least 6 customers at Scuderia West (the SF aprilia dealer) have reportedly put down deposits on RS450/Tuono 450, so they can have them if/when Aprilia makes them.

·
Registered
458 Posts
DRZ-SM was made in VERY limited numbers this year. EG, only 80 were avaliable in California. They have effectively all sold out in the state, except for a couple going way over list, IIRC.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts

Many many years after the demise of the mid-displacement 2 stroke twin finally a manufacturer is moving toward recreating that sort of bike. I'm glad to see it. Think Titanlike engine performance in a modern chassis/suspension. Groovy. Far out. Right on. It won't sound as bytchen as a wailing two-stroke but, hey, it's still a good move.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.