Motorcycle Forums banner

Biggest badest cruiser engine to date...

5K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  TatdNPrcd 
#1 ·
Riding a CBX was wierd enough, with that long I-6 motor. An I-14 would just be excessively difficult. ;)

Of course, if I'm ever looking for a motor for a container ship, I now know what I'm looking for. 50% thermal efficiency! Woo!

-Kawazuki

#5 ·
Well, it'll be the biggest baddest when someone gets it installed. I remember seeing an Australian bike which used a couple cylinders from a Rolls Royce V12 fighter plane engine, and it was quite a sight to see it installed.

Guess I'll have to read more. My first thought is that with that kind of torque, it probably has no gear box, so to slow down the ship or back up, it will take some auxiliary support - or maybe stop the engine, switch the injector timing, and restart.

At least with those steps down into the crank case, it would be easy to get at the crank for service. Provided they remember to drain out the oil first, anyhow. No need to pull the engine out of the ship to work on it.

#6 ·
Cornering Clearance?

The story said that they intended to use that muthah with only a single screw. If that's right, forget about cornering, to turn that ship would take a rudder about the size of the rest of the ship.

Sounds like they'll need to take about 50 tugboats, swing the ship around in the right direction, and fire up the engine when it is pointed at the next port of call.

And we thought a Boss Hoss looked awkward to turn!

#7 ·
Kinda funny how things come around...this engine looks remarkably like the old Indian/Harley/Excelsior/Ace etc inline fours of the early 20th century, right down to the cases...amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.