Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been scouring my local sale paper and eBay for deals on bikes, and I was wondering, when is the best season to buy a bike?

Spring seems like a good time, because a lot of people will be trading their old machines for the new ones. Also, winter seems great because dealerships would want to sell stale stock at a cheap price. I live in the south-east, so riding season is every season.

Also, why is it so hard to find an older, unfaired GS500E? Either they're really rare, or nobody wants to get rid of them.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Sell in spring.

Buy in winter. Especially after Christmas. (We can still use the word Christmas on MO, right? I think so because even the most strident atheist doesn't refuse the day off.)

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
You mean "Mid Winter Annual Festivities".........

Winter is best to buy because the dealers want to sell, it's also bad because they need to make the most money off limited numbers of sales.

Private sales ar usually better because they're looking for Christmas money, all a toss up really.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I'm an agnostic and have nothing against Christmas, in fact i agree with people who no longer see it as a religious holiday, i get up put on jeans, tshirt and my leather jacket and go back to my parents for a day of free stuff and food... thats Christmas for ya

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
A lot of holders hold out for spring, hoping to get a better price. You may not find what you want in the dead of winter. If price is the question, though, winter is definitely the time to buy.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"Also, why is it so hard to find an older, unfaired GS500E? Either they're really rare, or nobody wants to get rid of them."

Because they're all owned by old coots who leave them sitting in the garage for decades, forgotten, while they work on radio controlled airplanes, or model railroads.

That. or they're baking in the sun at some salvage yard in Arizona...

·
Registered
1 Posts
"Also, why is it so hard to find an older, unfaired GS500E? Either they're really rare, or nobody wants to get rid of them."

Because they're all owned by old coots who leave them sitting in the garage for decades, forgotten, while they work on radio controlled airplanes, or model railroads.

That. or they're baking in the sun at some salvage yard in Arizona...
Hey, I resemble that remark! I have a '98 GS500E that's been sitting in my shed for almost a year now, waiting for a carb rebuild, while I've been busy building a scale J-3 Cub. But I ain't an old coot! I'm only 30, so I guess that makes me a young coot. Anyway, GS's may be rare in your neck of the woods, but they're a dime a dozen here in NJ.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
If you're buying from a retail location: anytime is a good time. They're bleeding from their eyes and ears to sell bikes right now and will wheel and deal anything- even Busas. I know a dealer in ATL that let an 08 Busa go for $150 above cost! It's Crazy Eddie time right now.
If it private seller then just keep hammering the price you will give. Someone will meet your needs- promise.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
I got my Bandit and my Range Rover on Craigslist right now....Mention MO and you get a free beer with every piurchase................

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
I got my Bandit and my Range Rover on Craigslist right now....Mention MO and you get a free beer with every piurchase................
Downsizing? Wouldn't it just be easier to sell the spouse and kids?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Oh gosh it is me again, the newbie 61 year young guy, would I be smarter to by my first bike from a local dealer or from an individual. My thinking is yes I might get a better price from an individual, but maybe the dealer wanting future sales from me might clue me in if the wheels are about to fall off the bike or some other major noticable problem with the bike.

·
Registered
11,488 Posts
Oh gosh it is me again, the newbie 61 year young guy, would I be smarter to by my first bike from a local dealer or from an individual. My thinking is yes I might get a better price from an individual, but maybe the dealer wanting future sales from me might clue me in if the wheels are about to fall off the bike or some other major noticable problem with the bike.
I figure it'd be the opposite: Dealer just wants to make his buck, get the POS off his showroom floor (or his sidewalk). Individual may warn you of an upcoming spendy valvejob/clearance adjustment, and give pointers on how to do it. Or, warn you of things to watch-for.

The Individual is more-likely to be an enthusiast of that particular model, and know it's quirks.

Dealer salesmooks usually have MINIMAL training on the features of this year's models, and the "Sales Manager" is a Liar (most certainly): Whenever I go looking, usually I get some line of Bullshyte about the bike I'm looking-at from whatever salesmook that's tryin' to make the sale.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A few people here have said winter is the best to time. From a dealer perspective this may be true -as it is most likely the slowest time of the year. Even so, I think acecycleins comment is true as well - motorcycle riding in general has been on a decline for the past few years and dealers are desperate.

If your looking for a used bike timing is a bit different - depending on your area's climate the best time to search for a used bike would be a few weeks before the end of the season. This would be around Oct/Nov if you lived in the North American Eastern seaboard. The reason for this is that most people have to put their bike into storage - if someone is looking to sell their bike and are still riding it they probably want to ride it for the remainder of the season before selling, but also do not want to pay for storage or have it taking up space in their garage all winter long while they look for a buyer.

Although generally end of season / winter is a good time to buy - anytime is the right time if you find a motivated seller.

·
Aging Cafe` Racer
8,715 Posts
It occured to me.....

What happened to the big Range Rover Renovation Project (Phase I)?
....how much it would be for what in all honesty is a worn out vehicle. Instead I donated it to Goodwill Industries, they can either use it or auction it at their discretion and I write off the market value on my income tax. A typically unimaginitive bourgeois ploy I'm afraid

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
....how much it would be for what in all honesty is a worn out vehicle. Instead I donated it to Goodwill Industries, they can either use it or auction it at their discretion and I write off the market value on my income tax. A typically unimaginitive bourgeois ploy I'm afraid
And you bought a Lincoln Navigator to replace it, right?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.