Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
...Maybe he should move to Baltimore.

How about that ChangJang 750? Sweet, eh?

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Not to worry. It's a fad like disco was. In a few years it'll dwindle back to the people who really like to ride and there'll be plenty of good used deals. This happened before y'know in the 80's. It'll happen again.

Except that this time we'll have sportbike bans to deal with.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Gee, i think extended swingarms, lowering, and losing a front disc ARE functional if you're drag racing. which is a pretty big deal in places like, oh, Florida. Especially during bike week.

nicely uninformed and wonderfully judgmental.

can we see some more chase videos? what's new with kpaul?

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
[*]Nice write up ... Really enjoyed it.
Fired me up to go down there. I think custom sportbikes is good thing.. Hopefully, it pushes manufacturers to offer more color choices than Honda Red, Yamaha Blue, Kawasaki Green, and Suzuki (red,white,blue).. I disagree with the author somewhat in that most sportbike owners are performance oriented so most won't destroy that performance.. As johnnyb says if they add a long swing arm it will be cause the guy either drag races or loves the look.. but it will be a minority..

[*] Nice pictures love the custom V-Rod, John Deere bike, etc

kpaul

sez

As he said in the past custom cruisers, choppers, bobbers will decline... Custom sportbikes, nakeds, etc will increase. More custom paint jobs, more custom sportbike wheels, etc. kpaul wants to next year..

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Plan to make the Mt Ranier loop this weekend.

Last weekend went 160+ miles arms were OK but butt went to sleep.. will try some monkey butt stuff..

I'll being using my radar/laser detector hopefully won't be a chase video subject. It works really well.. I suspect some of my radar alarms that have I haven't seen the trooper are probably cause I was being lit up by the WSP spy plane..since I was on a freeway at the time. Tip: If cops are using a aircraft radar is really the only choice.. laser needs to be steady...for a good catch. Washington is sure a pretty state...

·
Registered
61 Posts
I just rode to Myrtle Beach for bike week (and I rode my Warrior, 750 miles there and 650 miles back) and I have to agree with most of the points in this article. All the weekend badasses with their new $35k choppers are a real blast to watch as they paddle their tennis shoe clad feet down the street aren't they? There were a hell of a lot of Hayabusa's about for bike week, but I didn't see as high a percentage of sportbikes, then again that's for the week after in Myrtle....

I've been doing this for 20 years on all kinds of bikes, and I plan to be doing it in another 20, let the good times roll mofos.

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Actually the WSP does use radar but you are right most don't If you watch the first video I submitted you hear the pilot call out the radar speed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
He calls out the speed, but no mention of radar as the method.

WSP planes guage a ground vehicle's speed by pacing it or using a timing method. They have computers onboard to assist in this - you can see one in the KING5 video you posted.

Radar won't work in this application because it depends on doppler shift of a reflected signal. You wouldn't get much of a reflection off of an object travelling nearly perpendicular to you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Open Letter to Motorcyle.com

I have an Idea for the next article. Going out on a limb here...but....here goes:

1. Gather a few experienced riders (preferably someone we have heard of).

2. Get a bike (New, used, at this point it doesn't even matter).

3. Ride the bike in various settings and take copious notes on what it's like (comfort, power, handling...you know, pros and cons).

4. Gather the notes and transform them into an informative, cohesive, and entertaining review of the bike (this is the most difficult part but I think you guys can do it).

5. Post that article on this website so all of your subscribers can read it, be informed and entertained, and have a hilarious debate after reading the article.

Here's the MOST IMPORTANT part: If, for some reason or another, this is not possible right now, have the common decency to tell your loyal subscribers (who pay money) why and let them know what to look forward to in the near future. In other words, FCUKING COMMUNICATE WITH YOUR READERS!! MO has been notoriously horrible at this and it's time you guys let us know what's going on.

Quick example: NEW OWNERS!! NEW EDITOR!! NEW FORMAT!! LOTS OF CHANGES!! What's happened since?? Crickets, that's what. It's annoying and unprofessional. I hate to compare MO to other magazines, but every single month I know exactly what to expect from Motorcyclist. I have yet to receive an issue that's blank inside. Time to step up MO.

·
Registered
10,903 Posts
Re: WARNING: KBASHING THREAD IN PROGRESS!

I guess it depends if it's the sockmaster who knows everything about aerial surveillance or the one who thinks the bear in the air uses radar.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
"Radar won't work in this application because it depends on doppler shift of a reflected signal. You wouldn't get much of a reflection off of an object travelling nearly perpendicular to you."

Yeah, it would pretty much read "0 MPH".

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Re: Open Letter to Motorcyle.com

+1.

Like I said earlier today, the natives are getting restless. Time to speak up, MO.

·
Registered
273 Posts
JB, of course those listed modifications are beneficial to a drag racer. I think what the author failed to mention is that those same bikes will undoubtedly be shod with an additional 10 pounds of chrome plating, neon lights in some random location, and perhaps even an LCD television embedded in a gas tank shroud. I only mention this because I have seen it.

What this really comes down to is the fundamental lack of intelligence in the general population. If the average IQ is 100 (by definition) then that must mean there are a hell of a lot of people out there with one less than 100. That's pretty f*cking dumb. So they spend their inflated salaries on crap ornaments to hang on a once superb motorcyle in an effort to immitate their favorite knucklehead from the movies. There is no consideration given to 'form over function' (written backwards in the article), demonstrating that the owner is not really interested in riding a bike for the purpose it was designed or even modified for. They may be happy with their shiny toys though, and they will continue to breathe through their mouths as they spend, spend, spend.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.