Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Why get a license for a scooter?

After all, scooters are cute, harmless and playful, like bunnies. Motorcycles are mean, nasty and angry, like pit bulls. Only a reckless maniac would ride a motorcycle or own a pit bull.

Most motorcycle crashes occur on city streets, at speeds under 40 mph. That's exactly where and how scooters are used, but of course giving a vehicle a different name casts a magic spell over it, negating the need to have any training to ride it.

I'm going to buy a surplus F-16 from Pakistan and call it a hang glider so I can fly it without registration or a pilot's licence. Who wants to go for a ride?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Re: Why get a license for a scooter?

"Most motorcycle crashes occur on city streets, at speeds under 40 mph. That's exactly where and how scooters are used, but of course giving a vehicle a different name casts a magic spell over it, negating the need to have any training to ride it. "

What's really funny is that in Kansas, you can get a moped-only license if your license has been revoked for a DUI. I think it's restricted to just getting back and forth to work. Maybe the whole idea is just to get rid of those people in a car accident (j/k).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Re: Why get a license for a scooter?

Where do you expect me to sit?

They've pretty much turned people into 400-450 lb. 25-35mph bricks who might've hit 15mph on their 10 pound 3 speed when they were 12.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I know!

When I sold Derbi, I would sometimes get calls from states where you don't need a license for anything under 50cc. I would tell these guys you could modify a GPR50 with a 70cc race kit and hit 100mph. I never did sell one out of state, which is good as they probably would have changed the law soon after.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I recently went to my local Vespa dealer looking for a daily commuter (150-200cc) I could use because my Thruxton isn't so great on gas (35 mpg).

The dealer went over all the performance upgrades you could do, how fast the scooter would go, etc. and then when I asked about safety gear, gave me a look as if I was an alien. With a straight face he said that part of what he sold was the 'scooter lifestyle' and that meant wearing ordinary clothes instead of protective gear.

I asked him if he felt that a 50 mph collision on a scooter was somehow safer than a 50 mph collision on a bike. No. Then why do you advocate riding without safety gear? No answer, so I walked out.

·
Registered
103 Posts
RI is too small for motorcyles but just right for scooters less than 250cc. Recently the owner of a new GSXR1000 crossed the state in four seconds. Even if he had wanted to stop for gas or a good RI burger he wouldn't have been able to stop in time. Bussiness groups are proposing a ban on all motorcycles as a way to improve bussiness.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
This is more interesting...

A middle school teacher is charged with slapping a 12-year-old student.

The alleged assault occurred last week at the Chariho Middle School in Richmond.

The boy told police teacher William Farrell slapped him in the face during class in front of his classmates. Farrell is charged with simple assault.

Superintendent Barry Ricci says the 53-year-old teacher has been suspended. The school district is conducting its own investigation.

The problem with schools today is that the teachers aren't allowed to slap the students in the face!!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Definitely. Friday afternoon, I still have four hours of work to do and I pick up the Thrux from storage tomorrow morning for the first ride of the spring. I could use a half dozen beers to get me through to tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Amen. Nothing controls a teenager better than public shame. The slap probably barely hurt, but the shame of having it done in front of the class will probably stick with him for years. If the parents were even remotely decent human beings, they would have asked the teacher what their child was doing to justify the slap. A teacher wouldn't resort to slapping a kid unless he had hit his utter limit, so a good parent would assume the kid was acting like a d!ck and deserved it, first.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Blame Holliwood,they are responsable for the image thing. Put Hanible Lecter or Bin Ladin on a scooter and things could be differant. Anyone else notice the jap four sounding BMW's twins in the last Italian Job ?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Well for the motorized bicycles I built you don't need a license, or insurance. All you need are flip-flops and a bicycle helmet.

The perfect post-license removal DUI vehicle...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.