Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a CRF 230 Honda just for trail riding and I am looking at trying to get a little more bike. I'm looking for a 250 but I'm not sure which bike I should get. Between Honda, Ktm and Kawasaki. Which bike would be better for trail and motocross? If I'm trying to stay in some kind of resonable budget. ( KTM and Gas GAs are up there ).
Any opinions?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Four strokes vs. two strokes

Take it from me, the 4 strokes are great, but when it comes to rebuild time, they cost big $$$$. I don't know where you live, or the off-road registration rules, but you can't beat a two stroke for power, ease of maintenance, and cheap parts. Take for example the cost of doing a top end on a newer 450 4 stroke (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki)that runs in excess of $1,800.00. Doing a top end on a 250 two strokes will run you about $300.00 (if you do it yourself). And god forbid if the 4 strokes rod is shot, or is bent, then the cost jumps up to around three grand for a complete rebuild.

You can pick up a 5 year old CR, YZ or KX for peanuts, and you'll be rewarded with a bike that reliable and fast enought to blow all those new four strikers right into the weeds. Here's a shot of me wringing out a project CRF230 for off-road.com last year. Neat handling, but needs more motor. Like riding a big SL100.

Good luck on your search.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Take it from me, the 4 strokes are great, but when it comes to rebuild time, they cost big $$$$. I don't know where you live, or the off-road registration rules, but you can't beat a two stroke for power, ease of maintenance, and cheap parts. Take for example the cost of doing a top end on a newer 450 4 stroke (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki)that runs in excess of $1,800.00. Doing a top end on a 250 two strokes will run you about $300.00 (if you do it yourself). And god forbid if the 4 strokes rod is shot, or is bent, then the cost jumps up to around three grand for a complete rebuild.

You can pick up a 5 year old CR, YZ or KX for peanuts, and you'll be rewarded with a bike that reliable and fast enought to blow all those new four strikers right into the weeds. Here's a shot of me wringing out a project CRF230 for off-road.com last year. Neat handling, but needs more motor. Like riding a big SL100.

Good luck on your search.
You forgot to mention the delicious smell of pre mix in the morning.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
...mmmmm...bean oil (or a highly oderiferous combination of all three, bean oil-petroleum & synthetic that is the marvelous Yamalube R).

It smells like..er..victory!

How's that bicycle holdin' up Buz, you ready for the ported cylinder yet?

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
...mmmmm...bean oil (or a highly oderiferous combination of all three, bean oil-petroleum & synthetic that is the marvelous Yamalube R).

It smells like..er..victory!

How's that bicycle holdin' up Buz, you ready for the ported cylinder yet?
Every time I ride it something vibrates off! The top of the carb completely unscrewed the other day on an expedition to get wine from the local store.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
That must have been fun. Gotta watch dem tings. Just have to get use to what falls off and when, I never had that many problems btw. Use red locktite...

You might want to look at the motor mount bolts, they get loose from the vibration. It was the perfect booze-runner. Glad it's still being used for the same thing.

Here's a shot of it right after I built it, with its sister.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
That must have been fun. Gotta watch dem tings. Just have to get use to what falls off and when, I never had that many problems btw. Use red locktite...

You might want to look at the motor mount bolts, they get loose from the vibration. It was the perfect booze-runner. Glad it's still being used for the same thing.

Here's a shot of it right after I built it, with its sister.
Here's the fancy new aircleaner. Pellet can, screen repair kit and chopped up dirt bike air filter. Electric fan Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Audio equipment

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the advice. I've had the 230 for about a year and it just can't handle too much of the rough stuff. I had tried a XR 400 honda and it was extremely hard to crank. ( kick, kick, kick..........) The electric start is something that grows on you. What do you think about a CRF 250 R? I know it's a four stroke.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Here's the fancy new aircleaner. Pellet can, screen repair kit and chopped up dirt bike air filter. View attachment 284
Whether or not images open up is a hit and miss affair. 50% or more of the time I'm prompted to log in again. Anybody got any ideas?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"Here's the fancy new aircleaner"

...oooh, trick. I like the multi-colored effect, looks like a 60's Citron aircleaner.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"What do you think about a CRF 250 R?"

Here's a honda Blurb that sums it up:

"It follows the 450's lead in featuring a compact, weight-saving single-overhead-cam design. Its bump stick directly actuates a pair of titanium intake valves and a forked rocker arm to open steel exhaust valves. A forged, 12.9:1, slipper-style piston does its business inside a Nikasil-lined cylinder. A flat-slide, 37mm Keihin with a throttle-position sensor takes care of mixing chores. Lightweight and efficient, a twin-sump lubrication system—which has its pump built into the vertically split cases—has separate oil supplies for the power-producing components (crankshaft, piston and valve train) and the power delivery components (clutch and 5-speed transmission). More important from an everyday standpoint are the CRF’s internal, auto-decompression system that makes for simple kick starting, a gear-driven counterbalancer to quell the little Thumper’s vibes and rubber-mounted handlebar to ease fatigue."

Meaning that you'll get 30-35 hours of hard riding out of it, before it hatches and costs big $$$ to repair.
Since you're on a budget, get the 250cc two stroke. Remember, they race 250 4 strokes in what use to be the 125 class. And a 250 2 stroke is a breeze to kick over.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
What he said. Go two-smoke. You'll never look back.

I see that '05-06 YZ250's, with the cool aluminum frame are going for $2500. I need one baaaaaaad.

"What do you think about a CRF 250 R?"

Here's a honda Blurb that sums it up:

"It follows the 450's lead in featuring a compact, weight-saving single-overhead-cam design. Its bump stick directly actuates a pair of titanium intake valves and a forked rocker arm to open steel exhaust valves. A forged, 12.9:1, slipper-style piston does its business inside a Nikasil-lined cylinder. A flat-slide, 37mm Keihin with a throttle-position sensor takes care of mixing chores. Lightweight and efficient, a twin-sump lubrication system-which has its pump built into the vertically split cases-has separate oil supplies for the power-producing components (crankshaft, piston and valve train) and the power delivery components (clutch and 5-speed transmission). More important from an everyday standpoint are the CRF's internal, auto-decompression system that makes for simple kick starting, a gear-driven counterbalancer to quell the little Thumper's vibes and rubber-mounted handlebar to ease fatigue."

Meaning that you'll get 30-35 hours of hard riding out of it, before it hatches and costs big $$$ to repair.
Since you're on a budget, get the 250cc two stroke. Remember, they race 250 4 strokes in what use to be the 125 class. And a 250 2 stroke is a breeze to kick over.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.