Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Four strokes vs. two strokes

Take it from me, the 4 strokes are great, but when it comes to rebuild time, they cost big $$$$. I don't know where you live, or the off-road registration rules, but you can't beat a two stroke for power, ease of maintenance, and cheap parts. Take for example the cost of doing a top end on a newer 450 4 stroke (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki)that runs in excess of $1,800.00. Doing a top end on a 250 two strokes will run you about $300.00 (if you do it yourself). And god forbid if the 4 strokes rod is shot, or is bent, then the cost jumps up to around three grand for a complete rebuild.

You can pick up a 5 year old CR, YZ or KX for peanuts, and you'll be rewarded with a bike that reliable and fast enought to blow all those new four strikers right into the weeds. Here's a shot of me wringing out a project CRF230 for off-road.com last year. Neat handling, but needs more motor. Like riding a big SL100.

Good luck on your search.

Attachments

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
...mmmmm...bean oil (or a highly oderiferous combination of all three, bean oil-petroleum & synthetic that is the marvelous Yamalube R).

It smells like..er..victory!

How's that bicycle holdin' up Buz, you ready for the ported cylinder yet?

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
That must have been fun. Gotta watch dem tings. Just have to get use to what falls off and when, I never had that many problems btw. Use red locktite...

You might want to look at the motor mount bolts, they get loose from the vibration. It was the perfect booze-runner. Glad it's still being used for the same thing.

Here's a shot of it right after I built it, with its sister.

Attachments

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"Here's the fancy new aircleaner"

...oooh, trick. I like the multi-colored effect, looks like a 60's Citron aircleaner.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
"What do you think about a CRF 250 R?"

Here's a honda Blurb that sums it up:

"It follows the 450's lead in featuring a compact, weight-saving single-overhead-cam design. Its bump stick directly actuates a pair of titanium intake valves and a forked rocker arm to open steel exhaust valves. A forged, 12.9:1, slipper-style piston does its business inside a Nikasil-lined cylinder. A flat-slide, 37mm Keihin with a throttle-position sensor takes care of mixing chores. Lightweight and efficient, a twin-sump lubrication system—which has its pump built into the vertically split cases—has separate oil supplies for the power-producing components (crankshaft, piston and valve train) and the power delivery components (clutch and 5-speed transmission). More important from an everyday standpoint are the CRF’s internal, auto-decompression system that makes for simple kick starting, a gear-driven counterbalancer to quell the little Thumper’s vibes and rubber-mounted handlebar to ease fatigue."

Meaning that you'll get 30-35 hours of hard riding out of it, before it hatches and costs big $$$ to repair.
Since you're on a budget, get the 250cc two stroke. Remember, they race 250 4 strokes in what use to be the 125 class. And a 250 2 stroke is a breeze to kick over.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts