Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
Take it from me, the 4 strokes are great, but when it comes to rebuild time, they cost big $$$$. I don't know where you live, or the off-road registration rules, but you can't beat a two stroke for power, ease of maintenance, and cheap parts. Take for example the cost of doing a top end on a newer 450 4 stroke (Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki)that runs in excess of $1,800.00. Doing a top end on a 250 two strokes will run you about $300.00 (if you do it yourself). And god forbid if the 4 strokes rod is shot, or is bent, then the cost jumps up to around three grand for a complete rebuild.

You can pick up a 5 year old CR, YZ or KX for peanuts, and you'll be rewarded with a bike that reliable and fast enought to blow all those new four strikers right into the weeds. Here's a shot of me wringing out a project CRF230 for off-road.com last year. Neat handling, but needs more motor. Like riding a big SL100.

Good luck on your search.
You forgot to mention the delicious smell of pre mix in the morning.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
...mmmmm...bean oil (or a highly oderiferous combination of all three, bean oil-petroleum & synthetic that is the marvelous Yamalube R).

It smells like..er..victory!

How's that bicycle holdin' up Buz, you ready for the ported cylinder yet?
Every time I ride it something vibrates off! The top of the carb completely unscrewed the other day on an expedition to get wine from the local store.

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
That must have been fun. Gotta watch dem tings. Just have to get use to what falls off and when, I never had that many problems btw. Use red locktite...

You might want to look at the motor mount bolts, they get loose from the vibration. It was the perfect booze-runner. Glad it's still being used for the same thing.

Here's a shot of it right after I built it, with its sister.
Here's the fancy new aircleaner. Pellet can, screen repair kit and chopped up dirt bike air filter. Electric fan Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Rim Audio equipment

·
Registered
10,904 Posts
"Here's the fancy new aircleaner"

...oooh, trick. I like the multi-colored effect, looks like a 60's Citron aircleaner.
The hooka hooka horn has vibrated in half but I got the carb back together.

Should I not be taking it to the old Carlsbad Raceway?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts