Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, more power to women who want to ride. I wish my wife would learn and get her own bike. I have a few buddies whose wives have learned to pilot their own bike and I think it's great. Back when I took the MSF course, there were several women instructors and about. Nearly half of the people in my class were women, but most were taking the course "just to learn more about it as passengers" and had no real intention of getting their own bike. Too bad.

If people have stereotypes about women bikers, screw'em. They also have stereotypes about male bikers and sometimes I get a little upset when I stop at the local 7-11 in leathers and some people seem to assume I'm there to rob the place.

As for "dropping bikes" I have to laugh at some of the things about "going over while standing still". I can remember when I was out as a newbie a couple of weeks after I got my license. I had a beat up old Honda 450 Nighthawk I got for a few hundred bucks and a lot of elbow grease to rebuild carbs, replace bent handlebars, etc. It had obviously been used to learn on by someone else too. Anyway, I was coming to a 4-way stop sign where there were already severl cars. I wanted to look like I knew what I was doing so I came to a perfect stop, head up, smooth, put my foot down on some loose gravel and slide right down. People got out of their cars to "help" me and that just humiliated me more.

The real problem was that the fall bent the shifter and I had to walk the bike across the street to mess with it. Fortunately I had a few tools like some pliers with me and I bent the thing back (praying that I didn't break it) so I could actually shift. Then the problem was I couldn't get into any gear above 2nd. I rode around the parking lot for about 15 minutes trying to break it free and finally did. I suppose we all look stupid now and then. It's been many years and three bikes later, but I still remember that and always give a quick glance to make sure I'm not planting my feet on marbles again :)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts