Motorcycle Forums banner

Biker jailed for 157mph ride in U.K.

14K views 72 replies 29 participants last post by  kowalke67 
Yeah, 15 days in jail would suck but worse is 2 yrs without driving. To be able to handle a bike at 157 leaned over means you have some skill which means these two having been riding for a long time which means they are like most of us riding motorcycles- we NEED to. Give me the full 30 days in jail but please don't take my license for 2 yrs!

Bad move for sure by these two. It's one thing to kill yourself but at those speeds time and distance are out of whack to other drivers. It's easy for someone to pull out in front of you or change a lane on you because they won't realize how fast your gaining on them. It won't just be the biker who's hurt and yes it just gives the anti-motorcycle legislators more fuel for the fire.

Jail time is surprising. I live in Chicago and a rider was busted here doing 167 mph and received a serious fine but he definitely didn't get even the threat of jail time and I don't remember hearing he lost his license either. That's one stiff penalty the Brit's handed out but, I have to say, I'm a believer of stiff penalties. A slap on the wrist sends no message and doesn't prevent the same future behavior.

I find it amusing how short sighted people can be when they talk about all the freedoms we give up because of our countries laws. How they are "out to get us" and "take our money", etc. There is a lot of common sense behind most of our laws that make your life better, even if you refuse to see it. In some cases, yes, lawmakers have ill motive for the laws they pass. And yes, you have lobbyist who know nothing about what they lobby against, whether it's guns, motorcycles, hunting, or chopping up monkeys to cure cancer influencing ridiculous laws to be passed that ban or limit our freedom and rights. But come on, traffic laws don't deserve to be lumped in with that kind of abuse of our rights. You think speed limits, helmet laws, and snapping pictures of speeders license plates is an abuse of your rights? You've lived a pretty comfortable life then.

What should we do? Get rid of all the stop signs and traffic lights? Erase all the painted lines on the streets and get rid of parking zones and no passing zones? Just have a big ol' free for all out there and damn the consequences. Let's just ignore the obvious and let the inevitable happen, do nothing about it, and then throw someone in jail after they mess up. Well a hell of a lot of good that does the dead person or the people whose lives get all f#$ked up after you wipe out a family member because "Hey dude, it's my right to top out my GSX"

You flatter yourself to think you can pilot a sport bike on public roads safely at 157 mph. I don't care if you’re Valentino Rossi it can't be done. What about all the unpredictable road hazards that are hard enough to avoid at 70 mph? Oh, that’s just us old people who don’t know how to drive, right? No problem for a young man on a sport bike? Well, look at the stats on who’s dying on motorcycles the most. Young men on sport bikes. What about the simple fact our highways were not engineered for vehicles to travel that fast on them (racetracks are by the way, you knew that right?)? I know you are not a professional caliber motorcycle rider and you are out of your mind if you think you're talented enough to ride one that fast on the streets and have it be safe.

Thank God we have these laws or you would very likely already be responsible for someone’s death. You think you and what you want are the only things that matter out there. "Damn old people in motor homes. Why don't they just stay home and watch Wheel of Fortune or play the frickin' lottery." It's immature thinking like yours and your actions that make these very types of freedom reducing laws get put into place. People who don't know good judgment from sticking their finger in a light socket.

Yes, you have to watch out for the ridiculous laws but you are just as ridiculous for knocking speed limits as a "limit of our freedom". Telling you that you can't even ride a motorcycle, own a gun, or have oral sex in your own damn bedroom is an infringement on your freedom. Taking a picture of someone’s license plate while doing 157 mph on public street is a pretty good idea. Then when you lie about it and waste our tax money by tying up police, courtroom employee, and other public officials time the picture can be produced to put and end to it. Or better yet, keep you from doing it in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.