Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Wow. It's amazing that the staff of MO can make fun of this movie, while changing the 'buttons' on this forum to the extremely stupid "talk some smack" and "smack back". In all sincerity I hope that change is just a temporary joke. It's not just on this article, it's on all of them.

In other news: I saw the Kawasaki Z1000 at the dealer this weekend. I was totally blown away by the look of the bike. Believe me when I say that I am not a Kawi fan. This thing looks like a Japanese version of the Aprilia Tuono. I am very seriously considering buying this bike in a few weeks, even though it's still winter. For me it's a choice between that and a 2002 FZ1: any suggestions?

A question about the bike: I couldn't help but notice that only one fork leg has provisions on top for adjustment. Does anyone have any info about this? It looked like there was no sort of mechanical link between them, so I was thinking that it was Kawi's way of saving money on the bike. I suppose that since the forks are tied together, adjusting one will alter suspension action just as well as adjusting both if it is designed correctly. That is a big if though.

Beautiful bike though.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Re: Z1000

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder of course, but some of the characteristics you are deriding here can be found in many bikes featured in "The Art of the Motorcycle". One point of concern for me is the build quality of the FZ1 compared to the Z1000. Over the top exhausts and nice mechanical components (ie colored engine pieces) are great in my opinion. I agree that the orange is gross though.

Good for the FZ1: less electronic components exposed to the elements

Bad for FZ1: some of the components are very cheaply made. I noticed the plastic guards on the radiator had tons of flash left on them at the edges.

Good for Z1000: every piece looks very well fitted and manufactured. The standard wheel hugger will keep crud out of shock.

Bad for Z1000: some of the paint on the plastic parts is thin, particularly the 'frame' things and the radiator guards.

While the Z1000 is a little out there, I don't like the FZ1 because it is so bland in comparison. Isn't it ironic that the FZ1 made all other standards look bland 2 years ago? Whatever though, I'll call a buddy of mine who had an FZ1 and see what he has to say about it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.