Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not surprising, after all we are the most generous and well behaved attendees of most motorsport events. Many times I've been told by local merchants, waitresses, hotel employees, etc, that they love it when the bikers roll into town for races, and rallies, they tip the best, have the most fun and are a pleasure to have around, not to mention the boost to the local economy.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Well, the Harley crowd is a bit more mature than a lot of the motorcycling community and tend to not tear up the hotel rooms in which they plan to sleep and have this habit of eating and drinking, a lot, and don't mind paying for it. That is always an endearing trait to folks! On top of that, being rude (except for those [email protected] loud pipes) is not tolorated amongst the Harley faithful. Can't explain it, just the way it is....

·
Registered
530 Posts
"Harley crowd more mature than a lot of the motorcycling community"?

I don't know what you've been smokin' but my experiences have been just the opposite. I've some more rip-roaring mayhem (Jack, beer, guns, t-n-a and macho don't always make a great combo) from the classic Harley biker crowd than any other, save for the bike punks. Oh, you must be referring to that NEW Harley crowd. ;-)

·
Registered
3,640 Posts
They probably use the same calculation the Tourism Council here does; each dollar is spent 7 times.

Thus, the crowds left town without $430,000 of their hard-earned cash.

Still, that is a heck of a lot of money for 10,000 people to spend in two days.

Do those poor folks in Billings know what is about to hit them? A bunch of 'Wingers! The horror!

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Billings is going to be very disappointed when they have to give out so many AARP discounts to the Wingers. It really cuts into the profit margin.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Sounds like the crew of the Independence on liberty.. you know the old saying "like a drunken sailor"...

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
It would be interesting to see how much the town spent on extra law enforcement.. Probably a small fraction of the revenue. I would think though HOG folks are pretty well behaved compared to an open rally like Sturgis.. Gold Wingers should be the best I bet.. i.e. older, more affluent, and more intelligent Wings have a good kPPI* compared to Harleys

kPPI Cost performance index..

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
Do the math. 10,000 bikers spending $600 apiece over a few days isn't that much. Figure half of that is simply food and accomodations. That leaves only $300 for beer. Figuring the greedy locals charge $2.50 per beer that works out to only about 3 beers per hour.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Better check your math! for 10,000 attendees $430K is only 43 bucks a pop, which these days doesn't even cover a tank of gas for the pickup trucks and RVs they used to tow their H-Ds to the rally! $600 apiece for 2 days ain't what it used to be...

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you really want to see a well behaved crowd, go to a road race. like Laguna Seca, Barber and the one in your own back yard at Road Atlanta, as far as the perfect Harley little gentlemen, you most be talking about the new yuppie HD guys, most of them are actually pretty friendly guys and girls.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Aye maytee. Arrrr.

Let's steal a bus and drive it around Carny park...or if we're in the Bahamas pirate a yacht out of a boat house and try to swamp a liberty boat with the watch change on board..."hey chief, wasn't that an airdale on the bridge of that yacht that just buzzed us?"

Or a shore patrol 4x4 Dodge power wagon in Gitmo. Even took a zero to the BOQ with all his gear..."my my, the duty is real lax around here..." he said. We then did a smoking burnout/doughnut in the gravel parking lot, pelted him and his bags with dirt & stones.

Haw haw, ah the sea stories could just go on and on...

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
Remember that dust up at Gitmo after you guys were doing carrier quals and we were doing PEB's for 6 weeks? I broke one of those thick glass ashtrays over some guys head, cut the sh*t out of my hand and dropped the guy like a sack of 'taters. He had my bro pineapple in a headlock and pineapple was starting to lose it so I f*kkin' pasted him..

I think we were the only carrier to get kicked out of Guantanamo after 1 nights liberty..LOL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.