Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
If we could ever get the news media to pay as much attention to the massive charity work most rider organizations put forth, instead of the crime, there'd be no image problem.

Every villainous act seems to wipe out all the good will generated by the charitable 'bikers'.

Motorcyclists generally already differentiate themselves by their actions. The pity is the public can't see it, blinded by the sensationalist leanings of the average news outlets.

A quick scan of this page finds 9 events with the word 'charity' for April alone. How many are going to get the same notoriety as the story mentioned here?

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Most of those people who either are outlaw bikers or those that choose to emulate them are mere poseurs that use motorcycles for props. Just because you own a motorcycle it doesn't mean that you're a motorcyclist any than buying a violin would make me a virtuoso.

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
It's you against the HD marketing machine. Billions of dollars get spent so you can wear a doo-rag and chaps and be mistaken for a biker.

I say let them have their fun. They know their new Nike driver doesn't make them Tiger Woods either. They get home from the afternoon ride and slip into the Tommy Bahama shirt and sandles and they know.

(Just in case: I slip out of my leathers with the new knee pucks and go to the same BBQ)

·
Banned
3,775 Posts
Simple Solution for the GPTB

Stop dressing like bikers..i.e. lost members of the Village people

Forget the useless skull caps and wear full-face helmets.

Trade the vests, arm and leg chaps for quality protective clothing.

Stop riding bikes that look like they were made in the 50s..

Perception is 90% of the problem..If you are serious you can make the change..

Who knows you might like fun bikes the Ducati 748, Yamaha R6 etc..

·
Registered
361 Posts
RK-Ray wrote:

"Please explain how this would be done?"

You mean, how do we stop referring to each other as "bikers"? How about referring to each other as "motorcyclists?"

Or do you mean, how do we stop dressing like extras from "Hells Angels '69"? Do I need to explain that?

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
I'm not a biker, I'm a motorcyclist or a rider.

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
While I agree with what you say, I think the bikers cause far fewer problems for our image and rights than the loud-pipe numbskulls. Few people see bike gangs in action, and news reports are remote, but everybody is getting eardrum-blasted and woken up by the attention-seekers.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't ride bikes that look like they are from the 50's? So almost everything HD makes... except a few, is unacceptable? Half the HD guys I know couldn't fit on a Duc and would have to go for a Goldwing, or a BMW. I think that is too much of a generalization; what you are saying is everyone should conform to just about racing restriction ( concerning gear ), and no one should ride anything that resembles a "classic bike". Please, I doubt everyone is looking to ride a 'Busa.

MHO , to h*ll with the media. Motorcyclists have had this bad Rep for as long as bikes have been around. You think changing the type of helmet you wear is going to change it now? Bikes are an expression of ourselves. Do you buy a certain pair of shoes because everyone else has them, or do you buy them for their comfort, functionality, personal taste, ect ect. If I feel like riding an old shovelhead w/ chaps then I will. Point being, there are motorcyclists who participate in illegal things while operating an R1/R6. The public is only going to be able to distinguish between the good and the bad by actually talking to us, or knowing us.

I might not drive a Cadillac, but I think my Toyota might just be able to fit as many bodies in it.

BOTTOM LINE: LOOKS CAN BE DECEIVING

·
Registered
38 Posts
What the Hell. Let's talk about the snotty lawyer letter thing! How can they get out from their stigma issues? I have it! Jousting between lawyers and bikers on R-6s', to the death of course. Into the Coliseum with them! On with the show!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Seems as though we have here a general dislike of all things Harley here.

Seems as though the Japanese manufacturers

are in love w/ BIKERS TOO.

Look at what they ae selling--HD clones to appeal to wannabees.

I ride a Harley--Road Glide,wear helmet,etc.

Nobody thinks of me as an outlaw biker.

I do get stopped more on my Ducati.

61 years young and riding since 1963.I ride the Road glide for one reason --comfort.I could not care what anybody thinks of my preference in bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Heck, if all you want to do is differentiate from the "bikers" all you need to do is wear safety gear, a helmet and ride something other then a black and chrome cruiser.

A few years ago, myself and another motorcyclist on a dualsport went over to Daytona for Bike Week festivities. I noticed that we were quite 'out of place' with all the cruisers and sportbikes there.

"Dare to be Different" is the thought process!

1 - 20 of 72 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.