Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Honda 599 last April. I am 5'4" and the bike fits me like a glove. This is one of the most fun bikes you will find. Just read some of the British magazines (they have had it since "98"). You won't go wrong with this bike.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Try the Kawasaki Ninja 500R. It's not the fastest ride in the stable, but with a seat height of 30.5 inches- very accessible. I bought mine as a returning-to-the-sport ride and so my wife (5'6") could learn to ride also. The 500R is comfortable on longer rides, gets great gas mileage and will cruise all day at 80-90 MPH.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm short as my name implies and have a Ducati M1000S and a Buell XB9S. Interestingly, the Duc claims a seat height of 31.5 and the Buell 30.1, but the Duc actually seats me lower than the XB9S. Don't overlook the Monster line if you desire low seat height and low weight.

·
Registered
291 Posts
A tall sole riding boot combined with an aftermarket seat can "add" a couple inches to your height. I'm in a height range which motorcycle manufactures seem to target (5' 8" - 6') so I have never bothered with aftermarket seats for lowering purposes. But, I owned a BMW Dakar (seat height 34.3") for three years and appreciated the extra 1" height my boots (Prexport 539wp's) give me.

If you only need a couple more inches this route could open up more bikes to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm 5'7 (barely) and ride a ZX-6R. I bought a used front seat on ebay and had some foam scooped out on it and recovered. It probably lowered the seat height by an inch or so...I can almost put both feet flat on the ground now. You can also lower the forks 5 mm and the rear by the same as well. '04 SV650's have a little lower seat height and I bet you could scoop the seat out too.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I bought a 89 Honda Hawk NT650 GT and the used Corbin seat I put on it had been cut down 1". I'm 5'8" with a 29" inseam and could flat foot the bike on both sides with knees bent a bit. With the stock seat I could flat foot the bike on both sides. There are lowering kits out there for SVs as well...

·
Registered
295 Posts
As someone who is also vertically challenged, I understand the problem. For light weight and a low seat, the Ducati monster series can't be beat. (Sorry about the accidental rhyme.) Also the SV650 with the lower seat is a very good choice. For a third option, try the MotoGuzzi Breva. They have a low seat option as well. You may also want to look at the Triumph Bonneville series. I haven't ridden the Triumph, but when I sat on one at the dealership, I felt like this was a real possibility.

Francis

·
Registered
227 Posts
The best thing is, that the bikes suggested in these posts aren't just bikes with low seats. They're also great bikes!

Honda 599? Buell CityX? Ducati Monster? (well, OK, only if your Ducati dealer is close by) These bikes are serious fun.

I've ridden the F650 and it's not necessarily for short people. The R1150R comes with a factory low seat option, though, and it's a terrific bike.

However, sport-touring bikes for short people are in, well, short supply. An R1150R with luggage and a clear screen would work pretty well as an S-T mount but it's maybe 550 pounds wet.

·
The Toad
17,458 Posts
How about the Suzuki GS500F? Seat height is 31" uncompressed. It's got a huge aftermarket as well. The engine's been around forever and is reliable as can be.

(Dang, I love be be able to recommend the GS500).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Don't mess with the machinery....

Hey gang, medicine is doing wonderful things these days in the arena of limb lengthening. If you're "vertically challenged" and can't get your dogs down on terra firma while straddling the diminutive likes of a Honda Rebel while wearing 3 inch elevator shoes, you might want to wander into your local orthopedic surgeon and ask to have your femur combo tib-fib supersized. I hear that some folks can get this done down in mexico for less than a grand. Lets not mess with the race-tested science and engineering of what those brilliant folks over at Honda, Suzuki and Yamaha have developed over the years. Scooped seats - ha. Lowered suspensions - blah. That hardware works man. As the musician Randy Newman has sung: "Short people got no reason....."

·
Registered
514 Posts
My wish list for a local commuter/fun bike...

seat height maybe 28 - 30 inches

upright standard ergonomics for my aged ass, beat up knees and gimpy shoulders

400 lbs or less

at least 60-80 hp to the rear wheel

good adjustable suspension

$8K or less

So far I'm looking at Ducati Monsters, Buell CityX, Honda 599...

maybe the SV650 with suspension upgrades?

The MotoGuzzi Breva? seems a little lacking as far as power and suspension.

Am I overlooking anyone?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I rode a f650 GS on Saturday as a service loaner. If I had wanted to I could have put my knees on the ground. The dealer said that the lower seat was standard on their GS model. The Dakar was a different thing altogether. I had owned a 1999 F650 for many years but it seemed much taller. The bikes are fun, great all around bikes. ( And before everyone gets snotty my current bikes include a 2004 R1, 2005 KTM 990 as well as my K1200lt) and recently included Duc Multistrada and 999) and my main wheels are found on an Aprilia Scarabeo 500 scoot).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I lowered a 2003 sv650 4" for my 5' 1", 100 lb. wife. She absolutely loves it. 3" came from changing the dog bone links and 1" out of the seat, (corbin). Total out of pocket cost: About $300. She also had a Volusia 800 that I lowered 2" with new dog bones.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.