Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Germany and own a R1150R (outstanding bike by the way), and cry to think that I'll have to leave these beautiful roads next year. :( Just about every single road is that perfect winding through the trees, beautifully paved dream we all search for. Then there's the autobahn. Mmmmhmmmm. Yeah, it's nice to be able to go 120 just for the F&%k of it. (It's a little rough for me to go faster without a faring.) So yeah, if you get a chance, definitely rent a bike if you visit Germany. Tchuss!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Best use of "murrican" tax dollars yet!

A bright yellow K-1? Oh, the humanity! Why do I always think of the early 80's band, DEVO when I see one....

If I ever find myself in Germany with bellie dwellies, I'll have to look up Dr Jeff and invite myself on a ride after I recover.

Good one. thx.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Wow, did this bring back memories. I was stationed at Landstuhl from 92-95. Europe really is great for street/road riding.

Ufortunately, the same is not true for dirt riding, and the primary reason I was glad to come home.

Thanks, Dr. Jeff!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
dang i was there `83-`84. what was that little dammed lake called with the little bierstube built on the bank of it where ye could swill a nice pilsner and dive directly off the deck for a swim? Life was good then what happend??

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I shudder just to think of it. Is it still called a "Sausage Fest" by Beemer riders, or do they refer to it as a "Weinerschnitzel Waltz" ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
That does sound like fun, would enjoy the beer and brawts part alot. A guy I used to work with went over there for two weeks and road a late model sport bike over some of the twisties thoughout Europe. He said the roads there are as close as you will get to a track without being on one. I'd like to try one of those trips out on a sport bike; see if I can ruin a set of tires in a day :) I used to live there in the 80's but was way too young to enjoy that part of Europe.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
If you'll notice, they didn't show the two Beemers landing from that little ol' jump.

Whump, thud. Caltech's richter scale goes off the chart and the riders now speak an octave or two higher.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
You got that right, I love that GS commercial where the guy "washes" his bike by jumping it into a steam. The bike goes straight out and then drops like a stone. No arch, just down... ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yeah, this was a great trip. You have to forgive some of the typos as I was somewhat sleep deprived hacking this out.

As for the captions well let's just say it is Wienerschnitzel named after Vienna or as the locals call it Wien.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I still kick myself for not PCSing to Germany in '95. I was deployed to Panama, Republic of, at the time and my orders to Germany were deleted. Of course, once I returned to the States, there were fresh orders for South Korea, Republic of. Anyone who has spent time in the 2nd Infantry Division's area of operation will know the driving conditions in northern South Korea were appalling. The Koreans have a fatalistic view of traffic laws and driving. Red lights mean blow your horn as you speed through; a two lane road is actually four (also with cars parked at the curbside); potholes big enough to break suspension components; and he who has the bigger vehicle has the right of way! How I managed to survive 20 months of patrolling in my Military Police SUV without being involved in an accident was beyond my comprehension. In the 2ID A.O., soldiers were forbidden to own personal vehicles. Too dangerous they said. I never saw any real motorcycles in Korea, only 50 -150cc scooters and mopeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Hi Jeff-

This is Laura (Rowe,formerly Thompson, now Davis). I'm on a Google spree saying hi to old friends. That's how I found your page. I thought when I saw biking that you were talking about bicycles at first. I should have known better! Sounds like you're having a blast! Germany is an amazing place. And I don't think I've ever heard you say so much in one sitting! You have kids now? I have a three year old boy, he's a doll. I'm still in Ohio, working in the OR. I'm at [email protected], stop by and say hi. And say hi to your Mrs. Be careful over there, speed demon!
-L

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.