Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Isn't it funny how things can go from great to ***** in a heartbeat. Drinking and driving is not the thing to do. If it was only yourself that suffered the consequences then no problem but that is rarely the case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Passing on a double yellow line- that is enough to know. Billy Lane killed a motorcyclist even if no alcohol was involved(a possibility). 1 innocent motorcyclist dead, 1 more traffic violator went home.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Re: "Seems to me the motorcyclist would have had time to hug the right side of the lane"

Very true. But, please don't forget how few of us EVER practice the skills needed to save our own butts in these situations.

Like you said, we weren't there, perhaps nothing would have helped. On the other hand maybe good gear and riding could have saved the day?

Yet another sad crash story. My prayers go our to all involved.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Re: LESSON TO BE LEARNED FROM THIS

There's a reason for the double yellow line. It means that it's not a safe place to pass. It means that you can't see far enough ahead to gauge whether you have enough distance to get over and make it back. If you cross over the double yellow line, you're risking not only your own life but that of others approaching from the opposite direction.

Knowing the above, WHY THE F#@* DO ASSHOLES KEEP CROSSING THE F#@*ING DOUBLE YELLOW LINE?!!!

ANYBODY WHO CROSSES A DOUBLE YELLOW LINE INTO ONCOMING TRAFFIC AND DELIBERATELY ENDANGERS SOMEBDODY ELSE'S LIFE IS AN ******* -- THERE *ARE* NO EXCUSES.

YES! I'M YELLING!

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
Given the amount of info, passing on the double yellow is not real smart. If the blood test comes back DUI level, put his ass in jail asap.

Now do his bikes go up in value?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just goes to show how one bad decision can change things forever. It will be interesting if Mr. Lane, as a motorcyclist himself, tries to make this the other guys fault, or mans up and takes responsibility. He has a lot on the line, and a lot to lose. As stated, all I have read is what is on this post, but it sounds like he will be regretting his decision for a while.

As for the motorcyclist who was killed, How much could he do? If it is like the two laners around here, you don't have much wiggle room if someone decides they want your lane. Most of the roads are 55MPH, so if Lane was trying to pass, he was going faster than that speed. If we have run off, it is gravel, but most roads just become grass and garbage. The only hope you have is to get slowed down in time, but for evasive maneuvers, there is no where to go.

As for a head on collision, you have the combined force of both vehicles, and then the sudden stop for the motorcyclist. I doubt even a rider on a airbag equipped Goldwing would walk away from a head on at those kinds of speeds.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Given the facts support a DWI charge, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extend. However, the larger issue here is how long will we as a nation continue to pretend that making the voluntary decision to DUI is not a conscious decision that should be evidentiary as establishing intent to commit voluntary manslaughter and be indictable, as such? Considering our considerable exposure as a motor vehicle class, and the number of us getting crippled or murdered out there, we especially, should be taking a very aggressive position on DWI VTL legislation, law enforcement, and subsequent prosecution. Regrettably, most of us don't seem to identify with the problem until it's a brother or sister who's the victim.

·
MODERATOR X
5,449 Posts
Re: Blindfold comrad?

In the former Soviet Union drunk driving carried the death penalty.

Fixed the problem. Except for the Uzbecks of course...

·
Registered
265 Posts
double yellow

I worked with a guy who got killed in a head-on with another motorcycle on the Angeles Crest Highway (a winding 2-lane mountain road) near Pasadena. Both were on the center line at a high rate of speed and both got killed. I used to ride that highway with friends and our rule was to stay in our lane and not exceed the speed limit (by much) on the straightaways. One of us still almost bought it when he went around a corner and ran into some rocks and dirt from a small landslide.

·
Registered
780 Posts
??

I have ridden a couple and they always seem to go round corners ok. If you have problems going round a corner on a chopper (or any other bike) maybe you need to go for rider training class?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.